PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Right from the charring light the Latakia made its presence known. The rich smoky flavor came right to the front. Which was not surprising based on the tin note. At the mid-point of the bowl the nuttiness of the Burley started coming through as well as the Virginias adding to the flavor. The Earthy and smoky flavors were still the dominate factor to the end of the bowl. Even once the bowl was done I could still taste the Latakia.
I will definitely be smoking more this tobacco.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I love this blend. Though, I get more Burley from it than anything. The Latakia is just right. It has a full flavor, but it's not heavy, if that makes sense.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Add me to the list of people who love this tobacco. Always 8oz. tins at a time. I wish they would start a bulk line up.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
The Borsphorus Cruise (and, I suspect, the No. 5 as well) are not light English blends
His name escapes me but the GM of Sutliff said something along the lines of No.5 being invented to fill the gap for 965 mixture when dunhill was unavailable. It was on the PM radio show. I like BC as well but No.5 being in the large tins gets more of my dollars.

wingsfan

Lurker
Jun 29, 2013
Tried this for the first time yesterday, partly because is saw this review the other day. I liked it so my I sampled 3 bowls, I think I might need add some to my cellar.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Blend 5 is very good. Field Master is, too. Both have the nutty burley taste in them.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
No. 5 was my recommendation based on their Perfect Blend Questionnaire (which is quite cool by the way). I look forward to trying this. And those prices on the 8 oz size are hard to beat!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Count me in as another fan of Blend #5. Lots of latakia without being a lat-bomb. But I don't think it tastes like Dunhill 965 though.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
To my taste buds, Blend number 5 is very much like Tinderbox Sherlock's choice, and Edwards Special Balkan. I bet there are some other bulk blends out there that have very similar characteristics.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks, thanks for the comparison with Dunhill 965. I didn't know whether to get the 5 in addition.

I have tried Sutliff's Westminster, which is also very good. 965 and Westminster have a good balance.

They don't Lat you down, but use Lat to bring up the other tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.