PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
Found a decent tobacco shop about 60 miles from my house . When I arrived , I noticed the Sutliff private stock on clearance . So I bought all of the ones I liked or have heard of . First I bought all three cans of sunrise smoke , I love this blend . Reminds me of a mild English , with delicate fruity undertones . Next , I purchased the last 2 Maple Street tins , I also like this one ( mild to medium maple flavored Burley and Virginia w/ a hint of rum :) I bought 3 tins of Molto Dolce . ( on the moist side but if properly dried , a great taste of honey , caramel , and Vanilla fills your mouth . It contains Virginia , Burley , and a little cavendish . The va. And Burley are fire cured a bit and is darker in appearance . The tin note and room notes are fantastic IMHO . I bought one of these to give to a friend . I also bought a few other various tins , but never tried . And I got them for 5.50 each ! A great trip indeed . :)

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Thanx for sharing your experience with Sutliff tobaccos. I have four or five tins in my cellar that were given to me. The only one I've tried so far is Alexander Bridge, which was far too mild in flavor for my tastes. It didn't leave me wanting to try another of their blends. Your comments have inspired to me to give the brand another try.
Sutliff tobaccos don't seem to be very much in demand. You got your tins on clearance. I got a couple of free tins at the NYC Pipe Show earlier this year (there was a table right at the entrance that offered tins free for the taking). I've been to a few local pipe club meetings where they give away tins. It's been my experience that most things I get for free are worth every penny.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Except for 1 tin of Bosphrous Cruise that the seal was broken on, I have not had a terrible SPS blend. I have been throwing atleast 1 in every order I have been making the past few months. Its a shame if no ones buying them I like thier No.5 better than 965 mixture anyways.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I've tried, Academy (Aro/Latakia), St. George's Blend, and Man's Best Friend.
Man's Best Friend requires a few more smokes before I have an opinion. I can't decide how I feel about it yet.
I think it's the burley that's throwing me.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
After reading the positive comments posted here I cracked my tin of Maple Street last night. While a bit light on flavor for my taste it delivered a nice smoke. I can't make a final judgment after only one bowl of course, but I liked it well enough to continue smoking it. It made me now want to try the other blends I have.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
For the price, Sutliff really hits above its weight. Haven't tried one yet that I didn't like!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree. I got six of their blends today, and am trying them out. The only one I'm not sure I'm going to like is Spinnaker because it's sooooooo cherry smelling, and I don't care for that kind of tobacco. But, when it dries out, I try a bowl in a corn cob. I'm smoking Field Master at the moment and am enjoying it very much. I also like Blend 5, and Great Outdoors is pretty good, too. I need to try R-Blend and CD blend, too.
Even though EGR isn't a Private Stock blend, it sure could pass for one. Of course, I've gone on and on about it before, but I really like it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have Molto Dolce and we'll see what I think when I try it. I'm burned out on that kind of tobacco, but I will an honest effort. My preference is straight Virginias and VaPers, but I enjoy the occasional English blend. I like some aros, but with the exception of SWRA and EGR (which is a mild aro at best), I tend not to smoke many of them. I like SWR, CH, and a number of other burleys, too.

jonesee75

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Sutliff is right up the road from me and if you get a chance to try (and enjoy a bowl of English) you will not be disappointed with their Academy or Field Master. I get a box from them every month. It is like Christmas!

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I have also tried several of their blends and enjoyed them very much. I hope their around for a long time, and can maintain their price point. For the money many of them are hard to beat. I never got a chance to smoke the original Revelation, but R-Blend is one I enjoy very much, along with Man's Best Friend ect. ect.....

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have to say I've liked all the Sutliff blends I've tried. I've had Molto Dolce, South Seas, Taste of Summer, and Maple Leaf. I have another tin of Taste of Summer I'm waiting to open as well as a tin of Metropolitan.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I enjoy Mans Best Friend enough to try a few others. I know its just marketing but I really like the tin art and black background.
Its weird. I can't stand the taste of it in a cob, but in a briar it's fine. I'll have to try it in a meer.
I had high hopes for the Academy, but it just seems a little thin.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My favorites from Sutliff are Top Shelf and Barbados Rum. Coincidently, I got a chance to try some Molto Dulce the day the review came out on the forum. Very, very sweet! I cut it with some 5100 after that, which toned it down more to my liking. I have also had the no.5, R- blend, Balkan Luxury blend, Bosphorus Cruise, and BRG blend. All very good, especially for the price.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have had some mans best friend which was decent and bosphorus cruise which was good. Ones to steer away from CD and Great outdoors. CD which is a replacement for Country Doctor and I assume it is called that because it is topped with something that tastes like cheap cough syrup, might be cherry. I have also tried great outdoors in cause you want the fake licorice flavor of mixture 79 without the annoying floral overtones. Im not sure how i will smoke through these last two. But i think generally they brand with good offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.