PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This tobacco is one of the better aromatics, but has the problem of all aromatics: the toppings obscure the tobacco flavor, which ruins a lot of the fun and produces an acidic coating to the throat. The famous toppings here seem to be a mixture of vanilla, whisky, anise, wintergreen and something floral, and this mixture while more pleasant than most aromatics, is still chokingly strong. Underneath it, a salad of Burleys and what looks like Cavendished Burley produce a sweet and nutty undertone, but it is hard to detect through the blitzkrieg of toppings. All that being said, this tobacco is far from terrible, as someone who has experienced the "Lakeland" topping and strong anise flavored tobaccos like "Irish Flake" can attest, and something about the ingredients used to flavor it forms a synergistic effect that creates a lush, opulent smell and flavor, like frankincense in tobacco form. It is unlikely that this will find its way into a shopping cart again around here, but while it is here, it will be enjoyed, and appreciated for being more interesting and flavorful than the usual fruit, liquer and sugar the people dump on ordinary aromatics.
Thanks to Pipes Magazine forum member "pipesmokingtom" for this sample, and for the accompanying pipe, which replaced a caption contest pipe lost in the mail by UPS.
This blend is far from the great nameless evil that it is reported to be, but aromatics are still not for me. Give it a try!

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
It's really not bad. Mr. Tom sent me some to sample also and I thought it was just fine. That's where I'd end it though, "Not horrible, it was fine." I don't think I'd smoke it again since there are so many others I truly enjoy and why not smoke one of those, but if that was the only pipe tobacco available, I'd smoke it.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If you like licorice/anise, it's really not a bad smoke. However, I recently found Gawith Hoggarth's Brown Flake Licorice, same idea a Mixture #79, but with top shelf tobacco....yummy!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I like licorice and enjoy PS Sambuca a little, but Mixter 79 just makes me gag. I admire anybody who has the will power to smoke a full bowl of it without turning several shades of puke!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mixture 79 is not universally popular. If you like aromatics, and licorice flavoring, and codger blends, it could be quite pleasing. Not my thing but perhaps not the glowering horror it is often taken for. Several members really like it, a lot.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yup, Duane was right. I was afraid to try Mixture 79 because of all the negative comments over the years, but after The Captain of the Black Frigate said he liked it, I had to try it. Apparently we have the same types of taste for tobacco, so if Duane says it's good, I don't have much choice, it goes on the to-buy list. It's not like it's expensive, and it has a unique taste for sure. Some like it some don't, just like most things in life. :nana:

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I Can't decide if I want to try this or just stay really really far away from it.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
As far as I'm concerned anise and anus are synonyms as well as homonyms, and it should be called Mixture 69.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are determined to try it, buy a pouch, not a whole can. Always wise to start with a sample quantity.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I remembered musing to myself when I first tried Sir Walter Raleigh not too terribly long ago that it was an unexpectedly fine smoke to me. My adult son pointed out that there are reasons why some of these grand old "OTC" brands are still out there. I remember buying my dad a can of Mixture #79 for Christmas in ca 1965 for a few bucks... nearly the same black and white classic colonial tin art etc. Different strokes for different folks not withstanding!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I remember when I'd see this shit at the grocery store ... just about anywhere with a shelf of tobacco and lighters.
I think you guys have convinced me to give 79 another try.
face-screaming-in-fear.png

Status
Not open for further replies.