banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Sutliff Match Early Morning Pipe

(14 posts)
  1. ormazd

ormazd

Login to Send PM

I needed a filler to reach free shipping threshold for a recent order, so thought I'd take a flyer on some of this. I'm a noob, and have not tried the original Dunhill EMP.

I'm quite enjoying this one, and am turning to it frequently. How does it compare to the Dunhill?

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't smoked either, but I think this illustrates that trying alternatives turns up some good blends. If you like it, it could be as good or better than the original.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I think it's close but not the same. I didn't care for the Match. If you enjoy the Match that's great, stick with that. I was in London last month and Dunhill still had EMP, I picked up a few more tins. Paying extra for EMP from the scalpers doesn't work for me. I don't like it enough to chase it.

My advice for what it's worth is to find currently produced blends (like EMP Match) and enjoy them. There are lots of great blends out there. More than you will be able to smoke in years to come.

Enjoy the journey.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I don't think you are missing anything with EMP. There are numerous other similar blends that are similar or better.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The match EMP was blended to replicate Murray’s era Dunhill, not the last produced under the Dunhill name by STG.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. ormazd

ormazd

Login to Send PM

The match EMP was blended to replicate Murray’s era Dunhill, not the last produced under the Dunhill name by STG.

Oh, that's good to know.
    Thanks.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. ormazd

ormazd

Login to Send PM

Paying extra for EMP from the scalpers doesn't work for me. I don't like it enough to chase it.

Yeah, I don't plan on doing that either. Was just curious as to how they "Matched."

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a world of various and interesting Va/Pers out there, one of the major genres in blending today.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ormazd, here's my review of the Match if it'll help you:

The sweet Cyprian latakia is present, but not strong and its smoke and wood aspects are complemented very nicely by the sweetness of the Virginias. The lemon Va. offers citrus and grass, while the pressed Va. is tangy dark fruit sweet. The dry, woody, buttery sweet Turkish is a condiment. There is an extremely light topping of some kind that mellows the blend, which is aided by a little sugary black cavendish in the background. Burns cool and clean a moderate pace with a very rich, consistent flavor. The strength and taste levels are a hair shy of medium. Won't bite or get harsh. The nic-hit is mild. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. Has a pleasant after taste, and is an all day smoke. The Match lacks the red Virginia that the original has, and is just slightly sweeter and less grassy. The substitution of lemon for red Va. means the sweet notes are not the same, but it’s still a pleasing mixture.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. johnmosesbrowning

johnmosesbrowning

Login to Send PM

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I think Daybreak from Hearth & Home is as good as, if not better than, EMP and I like it much better than the Sutliff match EMP.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  11. ormazd

ormazd

Login to Send PM

Good to know.

Thanks!

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  12. ormazd

ormazd

Login to Send PM

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I think Daybreak from Hearth & Home is as good as, if not better than, EMP and I like it much better than the Sutliff match EMP.

Just ordered a pound from the P&C sale.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  13. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

+1 to johnmosesbrowm I think the Match is an okay light English but, there are much better out there. To me, it does not match the STG and definitely not the Murray EMP. I think that the Daybreak that, you have chosen, is about as close as you might come to it.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  14. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Match lacks the red Virginia that the original has, and is just slightly sweeter and less grassy. The substitution of lemon for red Va. means the sweet notes are not the same

If all other aspects are relatively equal except the above, it sounds like I might prefer the Match to the original. I likes me some sweet smoke.

Posted 3 weeks ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craig61a, tufftony, paulfg, buzkirk