PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The match blends have been sold for years. Guess they're allowed.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Geezer, good point. I bet they get a C&D letter soon from some fancy law firm. All I care is that the match is available. I like the 965 match but it doesn't carry the Dunhill name but we all know what is being matched. Face it, if there is a demand, someone will try and fill that demand. How it's labeled is just the marketing dept trying to get the word out before they are told to stop. Half the post on this site is about one blend being almost the same as some blend that is no longer available. I love London Mix so when my stash is gone, I'm glad someone is out there trying the match it. It's all good from my standpoint. If the marketing dept didn't pull this stunt I wouldn't know that is what they are selling.

Oct 7, 2016
Dunhill has always been aggressive in protecting their name and trademarks. Sutliff (MacBarens) knows that. They (Sutliff) have access to high priced lawyers, too. All this is very strange to me given the background of why we were told they were getting out of pipe tobacco. And notice that they say "London Mix" instead of "London Mixture", which you might think was an effort to avoid infringement issues, but they feel free to use the Dunhill name.

donpumsey

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
Does it actually taste like London Mixture? I only have a few tins left and it's my favorite tobacco. I haven't really liked any of the Sutliff bends that I've tried but I would love to have my mind changed. I live ten minutes from the factory so I really want to like them.

Oct 7, 2016
I have no idea what it tastes like. Reviews are pretty good at Tobacco Reviews. I just posted this because I found the use of the name Dunhill and the absence of Match intriguing.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review of the Match if it helps:
The Cyprian latakia does not overwhelm the other components, but possesses the smokey, woody sweet qualities you expect it to. The Turkish provides a dry, woody, slightly buttery sweetness as a complimentary addition. The Virginias are a little grassy with a light tangy citrus, and a touch of earth as the base component. The differences between this and the original is that the Virginia in the Match has fewer grass notes, and is a little sweeter, and maybe has a pinch less latakia, though the sweetness of the Va. might be mitigating the latakia hit just a mite. Otherwise, it’s a fairly close Match and less expensive, too. The strength and taste levels are in the center of mild to medium. Has a mild nic-hit. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns cool (more so than the original, which could get warm on the tongue) and clean at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. Has a nice after taste, and is an all day smoke. I gave three stars to the original.

Reactions: Ted Vig

donpumsey

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
Thank you Jim! I'll have to give it a try. Maybe if I add this into my rotation I'll be able to save my London Mixture for special occasions.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I love London Mix so when my stash is gone, I'm glad someone is out there trying the match it. It's all good from my standpoint.
trout: If you're looking for a replacement for London Mixture, try GLP Westminster. It's almost a dead ringer, maybe even a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.