PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Has anybody tried the ts-19 Turkish or ts2 Carolina flake bulk blending tobaccos from sutliff? Or most of their other blending Tobaccos? I know that's a broad question but I'm curious how the quality is and if anybody can detect the types of Turkish within. The carolina flake I've never seen until now. Can it be assumed that it's probably a red? Might have to get information by email from them but I don't know if that will yield the info I want.

Jun 27, 2016
Best thing to do is actually try it for yourself, but there's at least two or three components in their blended turkish. One of which I don't like, so it was a loser for me, but you might like it. I would have liked it more if not for that one flavor. But, I've tried ounces of all of their Ori & straight VA offerings I could find, looking for stuff to mix with, & bought no more. I didn't like something in the mix of the blended turkish, and their other stuff I tried was either topped with flavoring, or more natural but not that flavorful. Personally I usually come back to the D&R Blenders Bench stuff as being some of the best straight Oris, VAs & Latakia I've tried. :puffpipe:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Carolina Flake is more of a bright than a red. I like smoking it by itself and mixing it with Yenidje ribbons.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I tried the sutliff Smyrna and it was not what I was expecting. Unfortunately I bought a pound. The flavor is ok, though strong. My issue lies with the insane harshness of the smoke. I've never smoked anything that burned my mouth and throat like that before. It kinda smells like an Indian gas station haha. Which is fine but the harshness is brutal. Aging now to see if it softens. I have a pound of their red ribbon and I enjoy it but not as a blender. I don't like the casing when I'm boending. Maybe I'll mix it with some sutliff Perique just to keep it interesting. Now I'm wary of their other blenders. Thank you for the info. I'm going to get a pound of their red cake and going to try their new crumble kakes. Why not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought some Sutliff red Virginia at my local B&M and plan to jar it when my jar of McC 5100 runs out, soon. I look forward to trying it, but plan to let it sit for a while first. It's not a substitute but an alternative now that McC is gone, and I have several actual McC blends unopened to soften the departure of the brand. By-and-by, I'll post if I have anything to report. Slow-mo here as usual, the one-bowl-a-day kid.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Their rc515 is supposed to be more similar to red cake but supposedly also falls short. It always will I guess but that's ok. I'm going to try some

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Sutliff 515 RC-1 is a matured Red Virginia that was designed to be similar to 5100 for blending purposes. It isn't 5100, but it's good on it's own. Both blends are pretty mild and monochromatic with 515 RC even more so. I haven't experienced any of the "bag note" issues, or "ripping off my skin on contact" experiences that some here are relating. Maybe it's a batch thing or a body chemistry thing? A lot of people can't handle Red Virginia at all as it just seems to cauterize their mouths.
Dried out a bit it's a very mild but pleasant smoke on its own, like 5100 was.
I've been using it as a blending tobacco, along with some Sutliff dark stoved Virginia, McClelland ECR, and a few other components, and it performs admirably.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
The human body is pretty amazing. So many different reactions to one thing. I have a friend that has about the opposite reaction as myself on pretty much everything. I'm often dumbfounded and for some people it's hard to swallow that someone else could be so different but it's pretty common. My pipe Tobacco kryptonite is Deception Pass. It gives me severe bite and a sore throat for days. Even after aging it's still unbearable. St James flake was like that at first and I concluded that it had to be St. James Perique doing it to me, but I've figured out ways to smoke all the other blends containing it without being bitten, but alas deception pass I can't figure out. It's a shame because I do like the flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.