PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Still new to the pipe so have not tried many tobacco but one that I did buy last summer was Sutliff molto delice after reading suggestions in these forums. The smell is great in the can and you thing oh boy this is going to be a fantastic smoke . But the thing is it's so moist it very hard to keep lit even after sitting in a mason jar since last summer (its drives me nuts.) Thinking I may give some to another pipe smoker friends just to get rid of It. Anyway right now I'm very into aros and reading the line of sutliff products makes my mouth water but I don't want to get another one that so moist . Can you guys recommend another good Sutliff aro that not as moist? thanks

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If you leave in in a mason jar, it won't dry out. Remove what you want to smoke soon, and lay it on a paper towel. This will help speed up the drying process. Aero's can take longer to dry than other blends.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
And pack it a little loose in your pipe once you've dried it. In the meantime, try Mountain Pass. It's drier and is like smoking Boston Creme Pie.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I just posted yesterday how much I like Sutliff Rum & Maple and Newminster 3 Very Cherry. Neither one has any flavored Black Cavendish. PM me and I will send a sample.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Molto dulce is some wet tobacco. I think you could leave it out for a week and it would still be wet. Rum and maple on the other hand is ready to go out of the tin.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sutliff Rum and Maple is the best R&M I've ever smoked. I just finished smoking half a pound of it a few days ago.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for your replys and I will try to set the backy out for a little while before I smoke it. By the way Mcitinner thank you for the offer PM sent

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I'm a fan of Bacchanalia - it's pretty unique. Not a fan of Navigator, too dimensional for me, and always starts to taste ashy after about 10 minutes.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Don't worry about MD, just fire it up and let it crackle.
If you are looking for another Sutliff aro, try Maple Street. Dry and ready to pack out of the tin.
Cheers. :puffy:
RD

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Molto Dolce is more than just a bit wet lol. First time I had it and it started crackling I was nervous it might pip and singe my beard.
Maple Street is another good aro from Sutliff. I also enjoyed their April Dawn which is a cherry blend. Their bulk blend Pumpkin Spice was pretty good. I've also heard their Honey & Chocolate is a good one.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Of course, I'll always recommend Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend, youse mugs. Myeah! :D

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Lordofthepipe. That honey choc sounds really good . Have any of you guys tried that?

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have not tried the Honey and Chocolate. My vote is for Charlemagne, though MD is good enough for me after 5 minutes spread thin on a paper plate.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I enjoy Molto Dolce as well, but also have liked Charlemagne, Mountain Pass and Queen Anne's Revenge. That last one is like a slightly better 1Q with a hint of rum.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
While Molto Dolce is a bit too much of a mix for me I have been enjoying Sutliff's "Spiced Rum". The taste is as advertised and it burns well. "County Cork" isn't too bad, either. I took that with me on a road trip awhile back and got some favorable comments from passersby.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Danielplainview: Here's my review of EGR, see. Better read it or it's curtains for ya, see. Myeah!
I greatly enjoy the strong aroma of the freshly open tub, which was the red wine casing. The room note is pleasant, and passes the wife test. The taste is mildly sweet, but not cloyingly so. I barely notice what latakia is here, so I suppose it's just a light condiment to give it a slight "oompf." The black cavendish is not strong, but I taste a little sweetness from it, and I can see it in the tub, even though some claim there's none there. There's too many black pieces in here not to have some cavendish, because there's no chance all those black pieces are latakia or this would have a more smokey quality that latakia provides, and it doesn't. I get some burley notes along with the gold cavendish. I also got a plum note or two that reminds me of MacBaren's Plumcake in a minor way as well as a light honey note. Burns well and evenly, and has a little nic kick to it. No goop.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
And pack it a little loose in your pipe once you've dried it.
+1

I think the mistake I make the most often is packing my pipe too tightly. Switching from tubbed OTC to tinned or bulk blends may contribute. The textures vary and some tobacco burns w/o much attention paid to its density in the bowl.

I think maybe looser is better, to start, because you can tighten with a tamper, but it's more difficult to loosen a bowl and get it to smoke through smoothly than it is to tamp a loose bowl and get IT to burn out.

I'm just beginning to sample more aros, having initially regarded them as unworthy sugary concoctions with very little nicotine punch.

I'm glad to learn I was wrong, and that aros can become a huge part of my pipe enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.