Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've seen some debate in various places about how well the seals on the Sutliff and H&H Mid-Town tubs will keep the tobacco fresh. Since I have several of those kinds of tubs in my "cellar", I decided to investigate the subject. I opened up a tub of Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend and Heine's Blend. The EGR is several years old, possibly six years. The Heine's Blend was tubbed in 2012. Both still had a good moisture, especially the EGR. I detected no change in the flavor or color of the Heine's Blend tobacco. The EGR was mostly dark with a very minute amount of burley colored strands as contrast, unlike how it is when freshly made (you see the burley very prominently then). The flavor of EGR was mostly the same, though it seems to have lost just a tad of red wine sweetness, and is slightly more tart than it is in recent tins and tubs. The burley seems just a shade more obvious.
I had some doubts about the effectiveness of the seals long term, and as the same seals are used in current manufactures, I feel more comfortable about them than I had before. I hope this experience helps those who also question the subject.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks for posting. I was wondering about this too. I have a tub of Chestnut and I have been thinking about adding other blends that come in tubs to my cellar. I also make sure to tighten the lid (which at least on Mid-Town is the screw type) down very hard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The safest thing is to jar everything, but I've had acceptable storage in unopened Sutliff "tins," which are cardboard overlaid with foil, and various tubs. Granger stays moist in its open tub forever, whether that is good or bad. Sutliff blends, if you use them regularly, keep pretty well in their opened "tins." I have an open tub of Chestnut, and because it is solid molded plastic and has a substantial screw-on top, I feel like it might do a good job over time, but I'm guessing. On the other hand, Semois Tobac-Manil comes in a foil wrapped paper package, and I jar that whole, even though the tobacco is quite dry already, to maintain it as is. What I can get in a jar, I do, although sometimes I put the whole baggie inside the jar rather than transfer it, or I've put a bunch of samples in bags inside a jar together. It's wishful thinking, but it seems pipe tobacco containers could be made inexpensively but still maintain the leaf in storage; I mean, this doesn't seem like a profound problem unsolvable by humans. But I don't want to pay a lot more for a tin either, so I work with it. If you have a modest rotation, four or five tobaccos, and move right through a tin, or even a baggie, you might get away without a jar in many cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.