New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title reads like a list of Star Wars characters. Sorry about that. This is a review... no, almost a review, rambling, stump speech, outburst, or booger mush, however you want to read it... or not. Ha ha!
Anyways, the back story... I've been infatuated with the McClelland ketchup smell, ever since my first bowl of Red Cake. It smells more like a barbecue sauce. Not a plain ol vinegar smell, but it is acidic enough to have a vinegar-like aroma. And, like all of us newbs, I played around with squirting stuff on my tobacco to try to get new flavors; vanilla, rum, almond extract, Pinesol, Deep Woods Off. I tried all sorts of things to explore the world of self imposed aromatics. So, I did try spraying some tobacco with vinegars, balsamic, apple cider, plain ol 6%. But, all I ever got was a cat piss smell. And, it tasted like it.
Red Cake 5100 has that stewed fruit and fermented smell, but after the first puff, it translates to a deep sweetness, like freshly baked bread. Cinamon... and I can't think of more bakery spices... nutmeg? nah... anyways, it doesn't taste like it smells. It has a full flavor taste. Very balanced.
So, this is what drove me into growing Virginias, all of the methods of curing and cooking. Somehow I was intuiting from RC5100 that the acidity was natural... somewhat. I could pull a fermented smell for a brief evaporation of a whiff, but nothing lasted.
So, McClelland, my love, master of Virginias... went tits up. Sadness ensued. Then, I caught the drift from a thread on here that Sutliff had a Red Cake, similar to 5100. So, I bought a few pounds. And, I saw another red Virginia on the website and got a few of that too. I didn't even read the thread very well. I just knew I had to try these Sutliff versions. I bust their chops enough about their aromatics; might as well give them a chance. So, Sutliff 515 RC1 & TS1R Red.
515 RC1 just looks like it is trying to imply 5100.5 reboot, RedCake1. I was reminded of my experiments over 5 years ago with making catpiss in the kitchen. It definitely didn't have the fermented stewed fruit. It smelled just like someone sprayed vinegar on some Virginias. The smoke smelled and tasted like someone had just spritzed some vinegar breath spray into my throat. It didn't translate to a sweetness. So, let me just assume this wasn't supposed to be simulating the McClelland ketchup. Let's just assume it is what it is. Someone made a vinegar aromatic. On it's on, words like tangy, pickled, salad dressing, comes to mind. It can be enjoyed. It could accompany a nice spinach salad, maybe a glass of tomato juice... mmmm... ha ha. It definitely leaves my teeth, throat, and sinuses tasting like I just ate some pickles, really bad ones.
Now, the TS1R tastes exactly the same as the 515RC, except, hold the pickles. It is spicy, sweet, but only a hint. balanced tasting, with not much of an after taste... maybe a little bready. I would be willing to bet they used the same Virginias in both.
I'm thinking about letting the whole lot of 515RC dry out, and then blend with the TS1R. Maybe once the vinegar dissipates it gets tastier. We'll see.
But, this all continues the debate in my head, about what makes the smell of 5100. vinegar? maybe some citric acid? a natural fermentation? Hienz 57 Sauce? Maybe a mix of all of these? Did Sutliff get played by Mike and Mary? Maybe they sold Sutliff a prank recipe? To me, it isn't 5100 at all. On it's own, judging from what is in the pipe, on it's own merits, it will be it's own thing... an experiment in cat piss. :puffy:
What do you think?

Reactions: logs

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I have not tried the TS1R, but the 515 RC-1 leaves a film on my palate. I’ve dried it to various moisture levels, blended with it in various ways, and always get ‘the coating’. I’m pretty much done with RC-1

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Do you have a recommendation for a better red Virginia available in bulk? I have some Wessex Red Virginia I haven’t tried yet but I think people like that.

It has to be bulk? That would be the problem. For years, McClelland dominated the bulk Virginia market, and now that they're gone there is a vacuum in the market. You might like TSR1R. C&D's Red Virginia Cavendish isn't terrible either. If you had to have a bulk red, then those two would be my suggestions. But, Wessex Red Virginia Flake is what I would suggest for a top end Red VA experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.