PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
So I received 8oz. of Sutliff: 515 RC-1 from SP last week. I plan to do some blending and pressing with it. When I pulled the bag out of the box it smelled sweet and delicious. It sat like this for a couple of days. So about 3 days ago I decided to crack open the bag and pull some out to give it a try straight. Well, I know the description says “tangy”, but DUDE, the nasal hit when I put the open bag to my nose is so sharp it legit hits like rubbing alcohol. I can still detect the mature red sweetness, but only through the smelling salts. Is this normal for this blend? I also jarred an ounce and let it sit with the lid off for like 4 hours to see if it mellows out when it dries a bit. I still seems as sharp.
Maybe I just need to bowl some up and give it a try! But first, seriously, is this normal?

kckijana

Lurker
Oct 2, 2012
My 8oz arrived today and I think I smell the same thing, but not as strong to my nose. Maybe a humectant?

kckijana

Lurker
Oct 2, 2012
My 8oz arrived today and I think I smell the same thing, but not as strong to my nose. Maybe a humectant? Definitely wet tobacco.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Agreed. A vinegar type smell stung my nose. Nevertheless I let it sit out for 24 hrs and that calmed down. I’ve been using it to make some CD blends more palatable to my tastes. The result is wonderful. I wonder what it would be like to blend this with Sutliffe’s Red Ribbon.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I got my 8oz also and got the same reaction when I opened the bag. It actually burned my nose somewhat. It had a strong aroma of vinegar. I didn't get any ketchup aroma like I've read in some reviews. The red Virginias really stand out, but I wish Sutliff had gone easy on the PG. All in all it's a good blend, but it's not all that close to McClelland's 5100 Red Cake.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
Vinegar...That’s it! I’m assuming natural fermentation? I’ll be smoking some tomorrow.

Jun 27, 2016
I mostly got alcohol /flavoring. Not really like Red Cake or the vinegar smell. The Sutliff Red VA Ribbon seemed closer to Red Cake, although the Red Cake is wetter than the Red Ribbon. But they could have called the 515 151. :puffy:

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
It's pretty overwhelming vinegar. I'd guess is the same vinegar MCC used, but way more of it. Smoked straight, it's super tangy, almost too much. Like drinking a bud light lime. I regularly mix 515 with other VAs, VaPers, burleys, etc. It's always interesting. It like a ketchup leaning version of a familiar blend. I like the mix better that straight. I'm curious to see what it does over time. I just bought a bunch of it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bought ten pounds of it when it first hit SPC. I smoke it quite often straight, but sometimes blend it with Yenidje and Macedonia ribbons.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
There’s definitely a little vinegar smell to it.
Duane:

I’ve been experimenting with 515 and orientals, as well. Great combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.