PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
am smoking their balkan luxury blend 957 as i write this and it is pretty good.

anyone else smoke any of the sutliff brands?

am stuck with the sutliff brand because the tobacco store only has this and cigars. its really a cigar store.

and the walgreen and cvs brands which are better than nothing. :cry:

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I'm in the same boat as you, man. The only tobacco shop in town just has sutliff blends and cigars. In fact the owner hates pipes so it's no use getting him to order anything else. So if I'm not buying online, Sutliff is my choice. I LOVE their Bosphorus Cruise. it's currently my favorite blend so far.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I like Sutliffe Private Stock No. 5, which is a Dunhill My Mixture 965 clone. Jury's still out on Maple Street.
-Jason

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
not heard of sutliff or come across it as yet but i smoke kentucky or centuary brands.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
This thread is quite timely. As of today, July 1st, I am quite pleased to welcome Altadis / Sutliffe to our family of sponsors.
They have a brand new website that has TONS of information on it. Not only can you learn about all of the myriad products, but I also like the Pipe Tobacco 101 section.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Hit and miss with Sutliff so far. No.5 is quite good - it's no 965 but admirable in it's own right. Great Outdoors is OK - again it's no Field & Stream. Bachannalia has a unique wine grape note which I find pleasant in limited doses. French Quarter is pebbly junk.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I have a bunch of their tobaccos but haven't tried them yet. I heard a lot of good things and I'm excited to try them.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Have not tried any Sutliff. If you want more variety got to pipesandcigars.com or smokingpipes.com Both have a large selection of tinned and bulk tobacco.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I have tried the Maple Street blend and its just not for me.. I have a trade offer on the "Buy/Sell/Trade"thread. I don't want to thread jack so PM me if interested.
I will be trying their other offerings though.....

dawk

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2010
The Early Morning blend is quite nice with a strong cup of coffee. I have tried the Maple Street and Great Outdoors which are both very pleasing to smoke.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
so far, this is what i have tried:

navigator blend is just ok.

balkan luxury blend can take it or leave it.

french quarter is ok.

maple street is good and one that i could smoke frequently.

wild cherry, (tobacco galleria packaging), may be just a little better than the drug store stuff.

smelling the cherry in the bag, the cherry doesnt smell quite right to me. can take it or leave it.
my overall impression is that they all seem to smoke down to ash way to fast. can drive to the kids house and have a bowl full burned up before i get there. where as the cheap drug store brand will still be going strong when i get there.
ordered a few of the hearth and home and very much looking forward to getting them. have read alot of good things about h&h here.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
Kevin said:

This thread is quite timely. As of today, July 1st, I am quite pleased to welcome Altadis / Sutliffe to our family of sponsors.
They have a brand new website that has TONS of information on it. Not only can you learn about all of the myriad products, but I also like the Pipe Tobacco 101 section.
Good on them for finally updating that horrendous site they had before. The new one looks great!
I've got a bunch of their unopened tins. The only ones I've had thus far are the CD Blend and the Balkan Luxury. I like the CD Blend quite a bit; the Balkan wasn't what I was expecting, but it's still ok.
ETA: Looks like they still have a few of the SPS blends to add to their website.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I'm a fan of the new tins they got out. But for me since they have tons of tobacco it's a hit and miss as other s have mentioned. I'm smoking maple street and it's tasty

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
I've tried the Maple Street and the flavor is good but there is too much of it for me. Mixing with PA helps tone down the excessive sweetnes.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
just to bring you up to speed. been trying differnt blends in all three of my pipes. benwade, preben holm, alto velani knocker.

would like to retract part of what i said.

the balkan 957 is just awesome in my ben wade.

wild cherry in velani is much better, even though it has a funny cherry smell in the pouch.

still they seem to burn up too quickly and a little too warm.

more later.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think the one I tried was the Briggs blend. I guess nowadays it's the BRG Mixture. It was pretty good. Plan on picking up a tin of Maple Street at the next pipe meeting.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I enjoy the Edward G Robinson blend. It's a good ole Burley Blend done right. I had the pleasure to tour the Sutliff Company a while back in Richmond. It was a great experience and the amount of tobacco they produce is amazing. Mr. Paul Creasey runs a first rate company and does so much for the tobacco industry, dealing with all the politics and anti smoking litigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.