PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedbs999

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2018
Wheeling, WV
I just purchased 2 Oz of this blend. I never got to try the Dunhill 965 mixture because I am a newbie to the pipe, and it is all gone. I am too cheap to pay ebay prices for it.
Has anyone tried this match? How does it compare to the discontinued blend????
Dan

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review of the match if it'll help:
In both the Match and the original, the sweet Cyprian latakia is a condiment, but aids the Oriental/Turkish in regard to the smokey, woodsy quality of the blend. The spice and buttery sweetness from the Orientals is lightly moderate. The Virginia is citrusy and grassy with a touch of earth as it forms the base of the blend. The brown cavendish amplifies the sweetness and adds a slight nuttiness. There's a slight mustiness present, and it has a nice, light creamy taste. The differences are that the Virginia in the original is a little grassier, a shade less sweeter with a touch more spice from the Orientals. The Match burns a little slower and cooler. Both burn clean with very little moisture left in the bowl, and need few relights. Has a mild nic-hit, and won't bite. Has a pleasant after taste, and can be an all day smoke. It’s hard to tell one from the other unless you are working to decide which is which. I gave three stars to the original.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
965 is my favorite tobacco. That said, I have not had the Sutliff match. I trust Jim's palate as a judge.
Also, Peterson's Old Dublin, although not a match, it is mighty good and very close. It's also made by STG, the people that made the most recent iteration of 965.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If jiminks can barely tell the difference, I'd be surprised if I could.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I tried the match after reading JimInks review and tbh, I prefer it to the last incarnation of 965 (Orlik?).

Status
Not open for further replies.