Tags:  No tags yet. 

Sutiff 965 Match

(6 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by thedbs999
  • Latest reply from blackadderlxx
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedbs999

Login to Send PM

I just purchased 2 Oz of this blend. I never got to try the Dunhill 965 mixture because I am a newbie to the pipe, and it is all gone. I am too cheap to pay ebay prices for it.

Has anyone tried this match? How does it compare to the discontinued blend????

Dan

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's my review of the match if it'll help:

In both the Match and the original, the sweet Cyprian latakia is a condiment, but aids the Oriental/Turkish in regard to the smokey, woodsy quality of the blend. The spice and buttery sweetness from the Orientals is lightly moderate. The Virginia is citrusy and grassy with a touch of earth as it forms the base of the blend. The brown cavendish amplifies the sweetness and adds a slight nuttiness. There's a slight mustiness present, and it has a nice, light creamy taste. The differences are that the Virginia in the original is a little grassier, a shade less sweeter with a touch more spice from the Orientals. The Match burns a little slower and cooler. Both burn clean with very little moisture left in the bowl, and need few relights. Has a mild nic-hit, and won't bite. Has a pleasant after taste, and can be an all day smoke. It’s hard to tell one from the other unless you are working to decide which is which. I gave three stars to the original.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

965 is my favorite tobacco. That said, I have not had the Sutliff match. I trust Jim's palate as a judge.

Also, Peterson's Old Dublin, although not a match, it is mighty good and very close. It's also made by STG, the people that made the most recent iteration of 965.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  4. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I also missed the original 965 but the 965 match is my everyday go to smoke. I don't have to think about it when I smoke it. No surprises

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If jiminks can barely tell the difference, I'd be surprised if I could.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I tried the match after reading JimInks review and tbh, I prefer it to the last incarnation of 965 (Orlik?).

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mikethompson, npod, pappymac, mtwaller, donjgiles