PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
After about two months of living in MN, I can comfortably state that my earlier hypothesis - which stated that Minnesota is too cold for any sane human to live in - is true.
Yes, yes, I'm still alive. But I'm so, so cold. Been working at a ski resort, so I'm outside most days, no matter the temperature, dreaming of warmer climes. Until last week hadn't had nearly enough chance or ability to enjoy my pipe, but I spent quite a bit of time with the cob, briar, and leaf during these past 8 or 9 days. Missed it so!
Had today and yesterday off, so I finally started really laying into engagement ring stuff. The plan seems to be pretty well finalized. I'll be working with a jeweler here in MN, they'll be teaching me to carve the wax model that the ring will be cast from. Then, I intend to send the wax model to a different jeweler who will be casting it out of Platinum! This coming Wednesday will see me in the first jeweler's studio, working on the carving. Hopefully it goes well! Shannen doesn't want any stones, and she's been vocal about only having one ring, so I at least won't be buying any diamonds for the engagement ring. Not sure if I'll be making a wedding band. Guess that'll be up to her, after (if) she says yes!
In the meantime, I've got Shannen's birthday and Valentine's day coming up. I've made her a glass heart every year for V-Day, but I don't have access to my workshop this year so I had to come up with something else. Decided to carve the head of a big nail to look like a heart, then managed to engrave 'S+H' into it. Looks like the letters you might find carved in a tree, and I'm good with that. Though, I do very much hope my work with the wax comes out a lot nicer!
DSC_0405_zpskhoowipf.jpg

DSC_0433_zpsshaaczif.jpg

Hope you guys are all doing well, I'll try to check in again soon!
Harvey

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
After about two months of living in MN, I can comfortably state that my earlier hypothesis - which stated that Minnesota is too cold for any sane human to live in - is true.
Awww! Poor baby...
Good luck on the ring carving. Looking forward to pictures of that!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
68 degrees and 5 mph wind in Tucson right now. Getting ready to throw some ribeyes on the grill. I would die if I had to live in the cold country again.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
My coffee froze in walking out to the shop last week. Negative 45 isn't that bad...there's no bad weather, just bad gear.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Going outside feels like standing on a big ice cube. And having to drive around & look for poles in the ground so you know where the road is....

But love the people up there!

Sorta like Southerners that talk funny.

Love the State.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
aldecaker -
68 degrees and 5 mph wind in Tucson right now. Getting ready to throw some ribeyes on the grill. I would die if I had to live in the cold country again.
I remember that Tucson weather from when I was stationed there at Davis-Monthon in the 60's.
But summers there were just too hot for me.
Here in upstate NY -14 windchill. I like it cold.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm originally from near Rome. My mother worked at Griffiss AFB; how's that for paths crossing a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.