PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Hey all,
I saw this pipe on ol' ebay while searching for a new pipe to satisfy my PAD. It caught my eye right away. Then I read it was a Dr. Grabow. I've never seen such a nice one!
I've yet to see it in person but it looks a cut above the other grabow's I've seen. It's stamped "UNIQUE" then "Dr. Grabow" underneath. While there is a wealth of information on Dr. Grabow pipes out there on the web, there is next to none on this particular model or shape. What I did find out was that the "unique" was made in the early 60's for a very brief period in an attempt to create a hand carved freehand type pipe, and this is just about all I know!
Pics!

ckkkn.png

10pafja.png

2eocoar.png

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
That's a pretty sexy Grabow. Did you purchase it or just come across the picture?
I'm guessing it's more than $17.50 lol

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Haha yeah, I payed just under $50. Maybe a little more than it's worth but I got it into my head that I HAD to have the pipe. Such is PAD. I wonder what $17.50 in the 60s would be comparable to today.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Haha yeah, I payed just under $50. Maybe a little more than it's worth but I got it into my head that I HAD to have the pipe. Such is PAD. I wonder what $17.50 in the 60s would be comparable to today.
So you are the one!! One of the guys over at DGCF was bemoaning the fact that he missed out on this pipe. He had put a $125.00 (YES !!) bid on it and it came back that he had been outbid! So in desperation he went higher, and still it showed him as outbid! Seems there was a clitch somewhere,maybe with Ebay,maybe his computer?
You have a very special Grabow. There was only 500 of these made. All were hand made by two employees at the Sparta factory. Although not well known one of those two gents,Gracen Lucas, has made pipes for many famous people,including President Kennedy. I got to meet him 2 years ago in Sparta. He no longer makes pipes.

I have one Unique. It was a gift from a friend,a former President of Sparta Pipes. He bought 4 from a gent and gave them all away.And he paid quite a bit more per pipe than you did.If you ever decide to part with it I know where you can sell it--quickly!

100_5835-1024x768-600x450.jpg

100_5833-1024x768-600x450.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Wow these unique grabows look like they actually tried to make a great pipe. Instead of their standard machine-made trusty pipes.
Damn nice. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for anyone selling any unique grabows.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
You learn something new on here everyday.... I never would have guessed that anything like that came out of Sparta. It is a tiny community nestled in the beautiful North Carolina mountains about an hour and a half south of where I live. I never though they had this kind of work in there factory!

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Ejames, all I can say is wow. I suppose I was meant to own this pipe! I didn't realize what a special pipe it was. I don't know if I'll ever decide to part with it now, at least not any time soon. I'll be sure to post my own pictures as soon as it arrives (not soon enough!)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Good!would like to see more pics of this pipe. Wish I had one of those plastic presentation boxes for mine.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Hmmm, never knew Dr. G has a series like that. You should try to get a Royalton if you enjoy Dr. Grabow pipes.

throwryuken

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
dr g gets sometimes a bad rap when its still a pipe and does what its suppose to lol. if it works it works

lokomac8

Lurker
Aug 30, 2009
Congratulations ulrich!!! You've gotten the best buy on a UNIQUE that I have seen to date -- $75 was the cheapest I've seen so far and it didn't have the case. I have one with the case, but the case does not have the foil name plate and price tag. I was the one ejames referred to as attempting to bid, but suffering glitches. A couple of hours later -- with me doing nothing on my part -- eBay went back to working just fine. Still haven't got a clue as to what happened. LOL. Glad to see you got it. Bargains like that are hard to come by! --RJ--

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
After learning about the history of the Unique line, I really do feel lucky to have won it at such a bargain of a price.It's a gorgeous looking pipe, I really can't wait to see it in person.
It's too bad things didn't work out with ebay for you but I'll give her a good home!
Just out of curiosity, which Dr.G unique do you own?

Status
Not open for further replies.