PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have done a little inventory on my pipes, and I have reached the conclusion that, obviously, I smoke some pipes more than others (probably as I buy more pipes - which I will have to eventually stop doing, some pipes I won't smoke at all any longer or very rarely). My surprise is that my most smoked pipe is the single filter pipe that I own. Now I know some of you guys frown upon the idea of filter, but I have found out the best thing for me when I have a conversation, have a beer with somebody, or whatever social thing I decide to smoke pipe at, is to smoke using the 9 mm filter. Yes it does inhibit the taste a bit, but when I get into a smoking environment in social context, I smoke more often and faster, meaning that I really appreciate the dry smoke which is more forgiving on my tongue. Also, I find that when smoking in solitude, I don't care for filter that much. I never thought about it, it's just something I noticed ... am I the only freak out there?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You're only a freak if you're smoking a pipe and not enjoying it. Doesn't sound strange at all. I have artisan pieces, a Dunhill, and some higher end factory pipes, and often reach for a fifty year old Weber Zulu. It's got dings and history, but man that thing clenches effortlessly, and smokes like a champ.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Filters are handy when one is out in the world. Many of us keep around an old Dr. Grabow for that very reason...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't mind swabbing out a pipe mid-smoke at home on my back porch, but you're right, DM. A filtered pipe is handy for "on the go".

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I've never had a pipe with a filter except the horrible Savinelli 6mm Balsa thing. I don't hate the idea of filters in general, as long as they don't clog up when I'm driving, making smoking an impossibility, which the evil Balsa has done repeatedly! I would have to try it out on a cheap pipe just in case I didn't like it, but I'd be willing to give it a go.
Tim

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I make my own balsa absorbers by cutting them from balsa rod stock that is smaller than the 6mm Savinelli balsas. Gives a better draw and doesn't clog, and yet still won't let a pipe gurgle even with tobacco that is too wet.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
My $33 Dr Grabow from Walgreens gets more action than any of my other pipes. Pulled out and tossed the filter as soon as I bought it. Smokes like a champ and loves straight Va blends.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Using a filter in situations that correspond with a tendency to smoke faster? Sounds smart to me. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
madox', so what's your favorite pipe? What brand, shape, finish? If you buy any more pipes, you might get another one or two of those.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My filter pipes are smoked far more than my non-filtered ones. If that pipe smokes best for you, and you enjoy the way the tobaccos taste with it, you can't go wrong. I enjoy the goopier aromatics in my Rattray's, and the two Petrson Filter pipes are for Virginias that I don't like in a non-filtered. That being said, I have a Fe.Ro Dublin that I put an adapter in because it smokes VaPers really well without the filter. Then I can pop a filter in it if I don't have a VaPer handy.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Half my collection is made up of filter pipes, and I love them as much as any others. I prefer Grabows and cobs with charcoal filters or Savs with the balsa filters. Dont let anyone tell you how to smoke, so long as you're enjoying it !

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of the European pipe market seems to be filtered pipes, and they appear to be fully enjoyed. It's a good point that a filtered pipe is appealing for many people if they are going to smoke socially and don't want quite the kick of unfiltered pipes. I often have time for only one bowl a day, so I mostly go for unfiltered, but I maintain a pipe with a filter and others that take filters. No prejudice, just what suits your purposes.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It's been said before and I'll say it again, the only wrong way to smoke a pipe, is if you aren't enjoying it! If you like filter pipes, then by all means smoke filter pipes, if you like aromatics, then don't let anyone tell you that they aren't good enough or are in some way less than. Smoke your pipe for your pleasure and not to fulfill someone else's idea of what you should be smoking.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I think most of us could say that we all have certain pipes that we reach for more often than not. Comfort, smokeability, or just how a tobacco tastes in that particular pipe. Nothing wrong with filters. If it helps you smoke cooler and drier than have at it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What philo said. If you like filters, put 'em in every pipe (severe modification may be required) If you don't like filters, throw 'em out when you get a pipe made for them. If you like sopping wet tobacco or dried out crumbly stuff, go for it! If you clean your pipe before, during and after every smoke, fine! If you think about it every few smokes and do it every 20, no problem. Etc.
Enjoy!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
mso489 I like the bulldog shape mostly, and I sure will buy some more ... they are pretty hard to come by where I live, you can either find estates, or very expensive new bull dogs. So getting the right pipe in this shape is a matter of patients ... I remember when I started smoking pipe telling myself, well I won't be needing so many, one or two should do ... I guess that compulsive pipe buying disorder is as valid as any other :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
madox', I don't know where you live or how accessible online retailers are (in terms of shipping, customs, etc.) but one bulldog shape pipe that accepts a filter (6 mm) that you might look at is the Dr. Grabow Royalton, which has a good slightly bent acrylic stem. It accepts Dr. Grabow or Medico filters, or you can smoke it without a filter, or you can use a Savenelli adaptor if you want no fitler but a slightly more restricted draw, and you can change between any of these modes in a few seconds. I think the Royalton bulldog is nicely shaped, very artful for a factory pipe. These are made in Sparta, N.C., at what so far as I know is the largest remaining briar pipe factory in the U.S. The Royalton bulldog usually retails for around $40. I'm pleased with mine as a good dependable smoker, usually with the no-filter adaptor, and I also have a Royalton apple shape which looks more nearly a prince shape to me. Both these smoke well above their price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.