PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
Today my family went to see my Grandfather who doesn't have much more time in this realm. My Grandfather and I started talking about pipes when he paused, and took me into his room and got out his pipe tobacco (which he hasn't touched in a looooong time) and pipes. He told me he wanted me to have his pipe equipment since I am the only pipe smoker in the family. This is some of what he gave me...

59cd35dc-5b2a-4143-8b6a-1ef6ebaf7130.jpg

A Bent Bob pipe, Super Value Black Cavendish (Not that bad actually), a Kaywoodie leather tobacco pouch (to go with his Kaywoodie pipe he gave me last year), a plain vinyl tobacco pouch and a box of Rum & Maple. He told me the Rum & Maple isn't being made anymore and said to enjoy it. If this is the last time I see my Grandfather, for me, this is the way I want to remember him...generous, knowledgeable and kind :puffy:

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
It's really nice to hear about a shared moment with you and your grandpa... I wasn't really old enough for that experience he passed when I was much younger.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Very kind and thoughtful of your grandpa to do this. It's providing a nostalgic memory of him that you will hold onto.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
My grandfather is in a similar situation I'm afraid, I plan on seeing him in two weeks to show him my pipes and smoke a bowl of Edgeworth with him. Hopefully not for the last time. I hope you cherish that pipe forever.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I was lucky to know my Grandpa when I was a kid, before he passed on. Cherish your time together. Value that pipe. Clean it and remember him when you use it.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
That is cool!
My wife's grandpa was a pipe smoker but we were never able to find his old pipes. My own grandpa was also a pipe smoker and his pipes have also vanished into the unknown. :(

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Black cavendish is great for mixing in with stuff, I find it too mild on it's own, but it's a great blending tobacco. Cool story bro.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
That will indeed be a spectacular memory. If it were me, I'd vacuum seal that Maple Rum and save it for a special occasion with my own son.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fippinbird87, this is indeed a powerful legacy. My suggestion (follow your heart) is to go ahead and smoke the tobacco,

perhaps saving a bowl or two in a tight jar for smoking on your grandpa's birthday, but save the tobacco pouches/box

and flatten them and frame them, with a little note of explanation on the back. Take special care of the pipe, for sure,

on into perpetuity. When you get old, pass it along to another family member, hopefully a pipe smoker. My grandfather

(paternal) had beside his chair by a sunny bay window, a ten-pipe rack with an amber tobacco jar in the center, made

of walnut. When he died, my grandmother passed along the rack to my father, the pipe smoker of their two sons. After

my dad quit smoking at 65, the pipe rack got packaged in newspaper and put on the top shelf of a kitchen cupboard, and

when I started smoking my pipes again, my sister dug it out and mailed it to me as a birthday gift. Along with some

cuff links and a lifetime of memories, it is my greatest family heirloom on a daily basis. You are a wise person to understand

what you have there, and you will honor your younger self when you appreciate these items in years to come.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
I will definatley hold onto the rum and maple packaging. Great idea! The pipe will always be clean and sweet ready for a time for when I miss him. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.