PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I’m throwing a surprise retirement party for my wife in a few weeks at a local restaurant. I set it up a few weeks ago. And the idiocy of some people regarding my planning is beyond any sense of normal decency.
Regarding the food, in which the menu has already been chosen.
This party is already costing me way more than anticipated. I don't mind, but every item I include increases the cost.
A few have said.
“Oh no. You need vegetarian food to.”
There is chicken and salad on the menu. And those people know it.
My answer.

Eat the food you like before you arrive, or don’t come.
Another one says.

“You need gluten free food also.”
My answer.

Neither I nor my wife have problems with gluten. And since I’m paying for this, and it‘s her party. I want all the gluten I can get.
“Will you have decaffeinated coffee? You know some people drink decaf coffee.”
My answer.

“Nope. No decaf. I want people wired and high on energy for this party.”
“You know. Most parties I’ve been to have an open bar. You need an open bar.”
My answer.
“Honestly, it’s bad enough I’m paying to feed certain individuals. Why would I wanna pay for their liquor and feed their alcohol habit to?”
And there was:
“Will you have a cake? Oh a cake is a must.”
“Is the restaurant going to be decorated with balloons and place settings? You gotta have balloons and place settings.”
“Is it wheel chair accessible” Otherwise I can’t come.”
“Will there be loud music? I hate it when the music is loud and you can’t hear what people are saying.”
“Why isn’t so and so invited? That’s not right.”
I’m ready to cancel the party, and move it to another venue without telling certain folks.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Ha ha, they will turn up anyway no doubt. In a way you will be doing them a favour by not catering to their every whim, people love to have something to whinge and moan over!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Ask them if the restrooms are gender neural, and when they reply 'no', reply that you are offended and will be moving the party to another venue.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Holy cow!! People are selfish moreso than ever in this day and age. Take a deep breath and you will get through it. Im in your camp, Im always tempted to ask for extra gluten when I see "gluten free" on a menu. Also give me extra meat! Hope it goes well...im sure it will

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Ask them if the restrooms are gender neural, and when they reply 'no', reply that you are offended and will be moving the party to another venue.
That's a thought! :)
Does your wife know she's being retired? Have you already picked her replacement?
:laughat: :crazy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When planning any event, the most important word is "NO."
No, we can't do that. No, we don't need that. No, we are keeping it simple.
People enjoy the sense of power that comes from using social pressure to force others to spend money. It gives them a weird inner thrill. Once you see this, you know that their complaints are just pretexts and can be ignored.
Hope the party goes well!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Since the retirement party is for your wife I'd say make your decisions based on her preferences. If people are really interested in making her feel appreciated they will accommodate themselves to whatever makes her happy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The restaurant isn't in the Indiana or the Midwest I knew and loved. Had you asked those folks about vegetarian or gluten free, they would have frowned as if you'd asked for camel steaks. Though they might have tried to sell you some balloons. Thank you for the warning. You can't go home again.
Anyway, all that craziness aside, I think it is wonderful you are throwing a "do" for your wife's retirement. It's difficult to keep anything secret from a spouse, but she'll love it either way, and remember it with joy forever. And so will you! Don't leave out any of her close friends. She'll want them to be there to see what you've done.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Since the retirement party is for your wife I'd say make your decisions based on her preferences. If people are really interested in making her feel appreciated they will accommodate themselves to whatever makes her happy.
I have all the food at the party MY WIFE enjoys...and most people will eat with no issues.
The people making demands are the same people who control their husbands, kids, co-workers, etc, and yet have no control over their own lives.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Damn, that's so true. The more ardent, judgmental, and controlling people are, the more heedless, id-stricken, egocentric, and smothering. All you can do is what you intend, and feign not hearing them when necessary. If people can only drink unicorn milk, they can bring it in their own little thermos.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
"You see control can never be a means to any practical end… Control can never be a means to anything but more control…" - WSB

Status
Not open for further replies.