Sure I am doing this wrong, what do you think?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
So one of my go to blends from my local B&M is a Virginia and black cavendish blend, with a hint of rum. It comes in a flake and I have always really enjoyed it that way. Well over the last year I have moved more into pressed tobacco's with Black Frigate being the latest. So I was curious to find out how my go to would taste if I pressed it. So did a little bit of research with a emphasis on little. So for a starter project I did not want to go and buy a 6 or 12 ton press. So I figured I would start small with a vise I picked up from Lowes and some PVC pipe. So I put in 100 grams and cranked down, the vise is rated for 1200lbs. The pipe is 4" tall and was packed to the top when I started and it is all compressed to the bottom 1/2" now. It has been there for 2 weeks and I am starting to get a little bit of a dark brown/black liquid seeping out. So thoughts/comments/hysterical laughter?

20180909_162720-600x450.jpg

20180909_162730-600x450.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'd say you have a very dense plug now! :D Only one way to find out, take it out and smoke it.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I hate to say it, but get a hash press from Amazon or a head shop. Don't want to support them, but they are a perfect way to make a plug in smaller (1oz) quantities.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Russ Ouellette told me that compression causes cell walls to rupture promoting melding, which causes heat promoting aging; yet aging/fermentation/controlled deterioration is primarily a process of all organic material separated from the life force that kept it alive. Youtube has many videos by guys compressing tobacco with a homemade press. I think it's great that you've started. Keep us posted.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The longer the press the more effects of it. Most hard plug like Condor or Salty Dogs is pressed for 2-3 weeks, I think. I'm unsure that longer would be helpful. All I know is what tobacco commerce does. Greg Pease sometimes takes question on his website and will know exponentially more than I.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A few years ago I just took a bunch of random aromatics that I had laying around and pressed them together for a Frankenstein Aromatic Kake. If I remember right I took a Sutliff tin and the lid from a Devil's Holiday tin fit in it perfectly. I lined the Sutliff tin with waxed paper, loaded the tobacco in, then folded the wax paper over and taped it in place. Then I put the Devil's Holiday tin top and put the flat side down on the wax paper. I used a C clamp to press down the tobacco. I left the clamp on for about a week cranking it down a turn or half turn every day or every other day. It ended up in a pretty solid cake form.
Country Squire Radio recently did a home blending episode which I got the bug to give it a go. I plan on doing half a pound of loose cut and half a pound of cake.
It's pretty fun to experiment with pressing tobacco on your own.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I don’t think you can do any harm or anything wrong. Make notes along the way for future reference. Keep us all posted and share some pics also

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
This has me thinking about a few blends that I have that are shag cut. It would be interesting to try making them into a cake.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Why not pick up a bench vice , it's what I use
Wrapped mine in parchment paper to insulate it from the steel

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
..compression causes cell walls to rupture promoting melding..
That's how I see it , I'm thinking you have increased surface area and allowed oils to 'float' out of the cellulose , which is merely the carrier.
Think of any pressed fruit , like green olives , roll a mill stone over if , it warms and releases oil.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, so I opened up my experimental tobacco press tonight. In it's pressed form it is certainly darker but has the same enjoyable smell that I expect from this blend. Then I had a half bowl of the unpressed blend then a bowl of the pressed tobacco. I found it to have fuller flavor to it with a decrease in the mild rum flavor. The biggest noticeable change was that it lit far easier and stayed lit for almost the entire bowl. Which I have never been able to do before with this blend. Fun stuff I am going to try this again with some other blends.

20180923_175848-600x450.jpg

20180923_180324-600x450.jpg

20180923_180517-600x450.jpg

20180923_180521-600x450.jpg

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Might I suggest you add some sort of inert insulating layer between tobacco and pvc , you wouldn't want to transfer plasticizers and other funky manufacturing compounds into the tobacco

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Good advise, will try that on the next blend that I do. Going to have to go through the jars in my cellar and decide on what blend to try it on next. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.