PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Call me crazy or a little old fashioned, but I prefer visiting the local pipe shop rather than shopping online. Sure online shopping is a little cheaper and easier, but after shipping and handling I've found it's not that much of a difference. There is no comparison to visiting the shop. The sights, the smell of pipe tobacco and cigars. And then you have the old timer who loves to talk anything pipe related. At my local shop, they are all about quality service. They will order anything I want and have it within the week. I can hold and inspect a pipe before buying it. I went in today to grab some tobacco and they had a Christmas gift waiting for me. Bill gave me a Lanes engraved pipe tobacco jar and a wooden storage box.

If we do not support our pipe shops, they will soon disappear. So go visit the local B&M, you just might find that next special thing for your collection or cellar.

+1000 I've always said that the few pennies saved by shopping online destroys the hobby as a whole. Without B&M's the whole culture of pipes takes immense amounts of class and tradition away from us. But, of course many misers will come on and bitch about prices, or the jerk at their own B&M, or having to leave their freaking house... yaddy yaddy, to me it's just excuses to pacify their guilt ridden hearts. :wink:
Me, I will proudly say that while I may buy bulk tobacco for the cellar from online, I make damn sure sure to buy several tins a month from my B&M, and since I am beyond needing pipes for a rotation, I only buy pipes now are unique and fit my current aesthetics at the moment, and only from my B&M. And, being able to handle them is a great benefit. But, the friendships that I have built there with fellow pipemen, pipemakers, and the owner are treasures beyond words.
Good on you for supporting your B&M, and kuddos on your gift. Having a tobacconist that orders pipe specifically because he thinks that I will like them, and tracking down tobaccos for me is gift enough.

Of course, you're not going to just walk in and make friends with your B&M owner. This sort of friendship comes from years of shopping and talking. YMMV

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I agree and DO support my BnM as much as possible. Thing is, in WA, there is a tax rate on MSRP of 95%. So that $6.70 tin of Sutliffs that has an MSRP of $10 will have a state tax of $9.50 no matter what that BnM charges... AND 9.8% sales tax. I buy an oz or two as often as possible but I wouldn't have any cellar at all without the internet.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My moderately successful B&M went up in a puff of smoke when the new owner turned it into a cigar shop. He didn't last 18 months. The only B&Ms I've been in in the last two years a Fox and Peterson. Takes me all of 18 hours to get there from the house.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
sparks: I wish!
cosmic: I had a friend, in my youth, with a dog lot. He let me exercise a team now and then. Great sport, they are strong and they love to run. I do now own a pair of wolf mukluks and hat. But, I've never come close to idyllic picture you painted with words. And, that is my loss.
The landscapes are still there, so are the wee towns and the moose. If you get up here some time and I'm not at the "local" B&M, I'll take a bit of time to show off the State a bit. It's a wonder, especially in winter. I do believe I could arrange a ride on a sled if given the time.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I enjoy going into my local shop a lot. I make sure to buy some bulk and cleaners and such. Though with the California tax and county sales tax that tin of Maple street costs about double what it costs online.

Warren, you may have made an offer that you might regret. Alaska is on my bucket list, and a dogsled to boot would be two birds with one stone. I have an old high school friend up there who sends me the moose racks that I work with. She is also a pilot, so between the two of you, I might just be at your doorstep, ha ha. Panning for gold and fresh salmon on the campfire would be a whole bunch of marks on that list.... well, or birds with that stone.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I agree about going to the local B&M. We only have one dedicated to truly pipes (pipe dreams), he sells a few cigars too. Sadly he doesn't sell any tins just a nice selection of jarred tobacco. He isn't very talkative (maybe cause I'm still fairly young {33}), I try to strike up conversations with him when I'm in there. However he is a great guy, smiles when I come in there with my wife and kids. He will help you find what you are looking for when you are trying to find a certain pipe.
I also like trying to support other local hometown businesses as the people usually seem more friendly and ready to help you find what you need. I went looking for a lumber dealer I bought from a while back today to purchase some more wood for my cabinet. He was out of the wood I need, but found me some stuff out of his small selection that he did have. He also cut me a great deal on the price, and cut it all to smaller more manageable pieces too. As he was reaching to hand me my change, I told him to keep it as a thanks for the chopping up the pieces.
So indeed help support the local B&M's out there. I will continue to buy some things online but will always rely on the locals.

lannarkgent

Lurker
Aug 20, 2014
There is a local B & M I visit weekly in Gr Michigan area. They know me and keep me aware of the new things they have. The selection is awesome and the staff is knowledgeable. The prices are reasonable.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
There are two B&M cigar stores 30 to 40 min away but no pipe stores or anything closer. I do support one of the cigar stores, but wish they had more pipes and tobacco. No tinned tobacco and only aromatic bulk and not much.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
The closest to my knowledge would be 12 hours away, in another state..
Then I can pay the price of $55-60 per tin..

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I enjoy going to the B&M from time to time, but its about a 30 minute drive for me. Its definitely easier to order online, but I believe in supporting the local B&Ms too so I always try to visit them every couple months. Even if I only buy one tin of tobacco. Its nice to see all the tobacco on the shelves and all the pipes in the glass cases, and I enjoy talking with the staff.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I very rarely order stuff online. I always buy from my local BM. About once a year I will order online when I need to buy my bulk blends for cheap. Our local BM has been here for years and I want to see them here 20 years from now. I have met some great friends at my BM and learned some amazing tips when in comes to pipe smoking. You cant get that online.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I'd love to have a good brick and mortar to support. There's one downtown, and I've bought a few tins there over the years, but I'm never in the market for new pipes, and their tobacco selection is almost exclusively aromatic. They get a few McClelland tins in, but mostly the Frog Morton stuff, which I don't smoke, and never the Virginias, which I would love to buy from there. I told the owner I'd buy 5100 or 2015 regularly if he got it in bulk, but he said it wasn't worth it. Oh well.
I do buy my cigars there, plus pipe cleaners, flints, and lighter fluid. It's not much, but I buy from them what they're willing to stock that I also need. They probably get $100 from me per year, which is about half what smokingpipes get from me, and about equal to what I average with pipestud and my other honey hole get.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I love the local B&M, I don't understand how people buy pipes online. Ihave to hold it and see if it feels right. I can't buy a pipe Idon't love. I think buying on line takes all of the romance out of it.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I just wish there was a local B&M in my area. I have to travel 100 miles to get to one.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
To the guys saying you buy online for the bulk blends that you cellar, have you ever asked the B&m to match the price on a quantity order? If so, what did they say? How much quantity are you talking about buying at a time?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
<p>We have one of the best here in Birmingham, The Briary. Skip is AWESOME!! However, the differences in prices,when buying estate pipes, isn't at all small. It's substantially more expensive often by 30%+. I'd soooo much rather buy there, but I can't afford the pipes I love at those prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.