PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
In my February tabak order from P&C, as an "impulse add-on", I ordered a pouch of Super-Value: Bourbon Whiskey pipe tabak. While I normally do not smoke Aromatics; however, I have been so curious about this full line of "super-value" tabaks being offered in the generic-appearing tan pouches.
The Pouch-Note is very pleasing if you like the strong smell of Jack Daniels meets Lucky Strike non-filter cigarette tobacco. The bourbon odor is very prominent in the pouch - which to me is an enjoyable thing - as I like "huffing the bag", nearly as much as I like smoking the tabak contained in this pouch itself.
The Room-Note I cannot comment on, as the smoker, I have never been able to smell the smoke mixed with the air around me; as my olfactory senses are usually overloaded from the smoking taste.
The Taste, for me, is experienced in 2 stages: First, on the Charring-light and True-lighting, I get multiple BIG bursts of whiskey flavor as the Bourbon topping "flashes off". While interesting and enjoyable, this very quickly is replaced by Stage 2, which is just a straight-ahead tobacco taste; with no residual whiskey taste whatsoever (by my pallet).
So, for roughly $3.40 for a 1.5 Ounce Pouch, you are getting a very solid basic Burley/Virgina mixture, with a short, but entertaining, "bourbon whiskey" opening.
The "Super-Value" line-up has something on the order of a dozen flavored aromatics (Vanilla, Cherry, Chocolate, Peach, etc.), and one English mixture - which I plan on trying in my April order.
Also, the Super-Value pipe cleaners at 99 Cents for a pack of 50, is useful if you need some super thin pipe cleaners for getting into the stem of a small diameter draw hole; where a thicker pipe cleaner simply won't fit.
- Sherm Natman

Jan 8, 2013
I like the Buttered Rum.
I'm pretty sure that was the first pouch of tobacco I ever bought. Obviously, I enjoyed it enough to continue smoking a pipe. I'm tempted to pick up a pouch or two on my next order.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
UPDATE 24MAR2019 - It's been a week since I last tried Super-Value: Bourbon Whiskey.
Tonight, the little tobacconist that lives in my head was nudging my pallet and encouraging me to have another bowl of SV:BW - this, after many, many, many bowls of rum-infused Black Frigate have been burnt to the god of dead Pirates in my pipes this week - with the idea of switching-things-up for the flavor of Bourbon.
It was interesting that tonight, the Bourbon Whiskey flavor lasted - or, at least my pallet detected it - through more than 1/2 the bowl; whereas, when I first tried SV:BW, the bourbon topping, while strong, flashed-off pretty fast.
As I continued to puff-away, I had to chuckle to myself, as the distinct smell of a shot of Jack Daniels kept tickling my nose with each puff, and for far longer than I had anticipated - based on last week's trial of SV:BW.
One thing was happily consistent between both trials, once the bourbon top-note is gone - or no longer detectable - the basic tobacco taste of SV:BW is really quite good and more than serviceable through the end of the bowl.
I am going to give SV:BW another go-round later in the week, as I am still considering this one as a "Novelty Tabak" thus far; however, if it improves again for me - like it did form me tonight - it may very well end up as one of my regular rotation tabaks; along with: 5 Brothers, PA, and my new obsession with Black Frigate. - Sherm Natman

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I have recently tried the Super Value Chocolate, for whatever reason i didn't have my hopes high for this blend, i guess because of the price. However, i was pleasantly surprised. It tasted good, smoked well, no bite, very nice room note, and even burnt very clean in the bowl. It is a very mild tobacco, not a slap in the face aro like I'm used too but its very easy to have 2-3 bowls of it if you so choose. All in all, for the price, you can't go wrong with this one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whiskeys, Irish and bourbon and scotch, rum, and liqueurs are among my favorite aromatic flavorings, though I smoke aros mostly as a change of pace, and though I am just an occasional drinker. When properly done, whiskeys etc. provide a nice boost to the tobacco forward flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.