Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
https://postimage.io/
Just click "choose images," select the photo you want from what pops up with a click, click the "open" button in the bottom right corner, and select "hotlink for forums" from the formatted link list that will appear. (You just copied it automatically... no menu will pop up)
Then open THIS forum, go to your chosen thread's comment box, LEFT click to "bring" the cursor inside the box, then RIGHT click where you want the link to be "set down". A small menu will appear. Click on "paste"
That's it.
The photo will automatically replace the pasted line of code when your comment gets processed on this end.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Woah, big. This is sized for a board.
[url='https://postimg.cc/image/fbnl0a2mr/' t=_self]
Cat.jpg'

[/url][url='https://postimg.cc/' t=_self]image upload no limit[/url]

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Wow!! What a magic trick, watching with closed eyelids. That game must be a real nail biter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ssjones, one theory goes that the frequency of a cat's purr, 50 Hz I think it is, is highly therapeutic. It's said to knit fractures and may have other beneficial effects. Probably folk lore, but for cat owners, a good thought. So you're clearing out your system there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Forgot about this one! I opened an account a year ago, and here's an image from then, taken in the museum at Greenwich, England.
Greenwich_Claypipes.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The little link it adds along with the pic is easy to eliminate if wanted, btw.
Just select "Direct Link" instead of "Hotlink for Forums", and after that link is pasted into your comment, manually add [/img] to the end of it, and [/b] to the front of it
It's cleaner that way all round, in fact, but I didn't want the guys who struggle with this stuff to mess with anything more than necessary.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I agree, George, and that's why I like the method I've posted: It works on every site*, and is very consistent. It will also allow picking up photos from our sponsor sites, eBay, and just about any image available on the web.
This is what I mean (re-edited just now):
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
*If this method doesn't work for someone, could he please post what site doesn't honor this?
If this proves almost bullet proof, we could delete the massive "how to" sticky and sub this, along with a test page link. Then I think we'd get fewer questions on how to do it, and a lot less chasing down links.
Thoughts?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
No thoughts from me. :lol:
With so many pipesmagazine posters struggling with the photo problem, I just wanted to add a potential solution, is all. It seems people test drive them like cars and then go with whatever feels right workflow-wise. PostImage now is a lot like Imgur once was---bare bones---and the lack of extraneous stuff makes understanding what's happening easier for Computer Haters. (Of which I'm one. :lol: The modern, client-server stuff, anyway. Which is ironic since I was was IBM systems programmer & project manager for many years in a previous life. Mainframes are an ENTIRELY different animal, though.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah! George, I just can't picture you punching tape or cards or whatever! A million miles from your current love....
Agree on trying to keep it simple. A good site, indeed. Experienced websters will know how to pick up the right URL or tag and where to put it. That's one reason I like the idea of taking it directly from the photo and treating it the same as from whatever other site one has used.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
wow ... finally got it, thanks georged. Just for the record, in order to upload the image to the forum you must copy paste the "direct link"

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hah! George, I just can't picture you punching tape or cards or whatever! A million miles from your current love....
It was after that era, but before distributed processing was commercially viable.
Ever heard of Sprint or Lexis-Nexis? (Though they were called United Telecom and Mead Data Central when I was with them). I was a mid-manager at the first, and reported directly to the President & CEO of the second. Hard to imagine, I know. :lol: I left the industry when Lexis-Nexis got bought by Reed Elsevier in the mid-90's and replaced everyone above a certain level with their own people. My product knowledge was too specialized for anyone but L-N's only competitor (WestLaw) to use, and a non-compete clause made that impossible. And my computer-specific knowledge was 100% hardcore Assembler Language and related, which was a rapidly shrinking market, job-wise. (Batch processing on mainframes is still done today more than people think, but the retirement rate of the people who know it matches the decay of the technology pretty closely. Meaning AL jobs are very hard to come by.)
As for my current love, you got that right. I was never nearly as passionate when working for corporate bosses as I am today working for pipe owners. Not even close. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.