Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Super Bowl Half Time Show

(35 posts)
  1. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I"ve had it with the Rauncy Unamerican half time shows that are not what most Americans are, even some liberal professors were voicing a concern about too much military presence at the Super Bowl , who fought to give them the right to teach in our halls of learning , I do not think the the majority of American football fans wanted to see Bouncie Girl do her mediocre pyrotech show, what happened to marching bands, SAD,SAD,SAD. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Would't it be nice to see some good old fashioned heart thumping drum corps? I sure do miss seeing the marching bands from my high school and college days.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Super Bowl half time show was not for old guys like us! Advertisers don't care that much about our business. Besides, I don't know of any time when popular culture has been more at odds with "traditional" values. I'm with you on this Old Cajun! - bp

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish they would dump the half-time show entirely and get on with playing football.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, the halftime show has become so bloated and crappy that I no longer watch it. I'll turn on some music I actually enjoy and go have a pipe.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah, and we're training a generation to mock and hate any music that isn't in the top 40. It takes a ton of work to even get any of them to hear a marching band, anything remotely classical or jazz without whining.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, I played at every college home game for 4 years! (Drum line)

I agree, and if there's a band (not marching band) for halftime, just let it be a good rock band with amps set up on the turf and nothing else!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We used to be able to go the the bathroom on commercials, now the commercials are a focal point so i need the crappy half time shows hit the head.

P.S. you cannot ever have to much of a military presence. They've earned it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to say I hate all of the current so-called singers/performers. They are nothing more than studio created fakes. I love classic rock to classical music.

Jason

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

+1 Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

It takes a ton of work to even get any of them to hear a marching band, anything remotely classical or jazz without whining.
    Count me out for the marching band. Not my cuppa. I've always loved classical, and get to the local philharmonic when I have the money. But I had no interest in jazz until a few years ago. The older I get the more I "get" jazz.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I agree. And like gwtbss, I would love to see one of those big college marching bands put on one of their beautifully synchronized shows. My nephew was at the game, he said from their seats they couldn't hear a thing but a din. I told him that he didn't really miss anything....

I wonder what they'll do next year in the cold weather of NYC?

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree , it was nothing but junk , Same thing for new years at time square

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I went and took a shower during half time.

I am sorry I missed that, what 105 yard run? that shook all the 49er fans out of their shoes though -- the first play of the second half.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. swhipple

swhipple

Login to Send PM

I kinda liked the half-time show, call me crazy.
    And while I do appreciate the military and veterans (Heck I am one).
    I'm getting a bit tired of corporations jumping on the band wagon. I see it like this. An honest and heart felt thank you is always welcome. Wrapping your latest product in veterans/military to sell it(aka Jeep's Super bowl Ad), Kiss my A$$

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Wow. So I'm getting nobody liked Beyonce (I watched on mute, but whatever)...

Do any of you have epilepsy? Because if you hate Beyonce, and you sat through that abuse of electricity, odds are you had a really terrible night.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jason, you might want to check out the brand new Blue Note Records release by the Wayne Shorter Quartet. I have been listening to it off and on today. - bp

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya know it might have been better if she had lipsynced the whole show and if they had installed a pole dead center on the stage .Suffice to say I would rather watch Kermit the Frog sing Rainbow Connection .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought that the Black Eyed Peas half time show was the worst possible, 98% of the people watching had no idea who they were. But the crown has now been passed…

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Halftime is a good time to catch-up on Buffalo wings. The entertainment is not my cup-of-tea.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being an SEC fan, I wasn't all that interested in the game or halftime show.
    I had it on the boob-tube while I was working on a project.
    I only stopped working to watch the commercials.
    I did however; watch the "goal-line stand".
    As for the half-time show... I had no interest at all.
    I did; however, get a good laugh when the lights went out.

T minus FIVE

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beyonce can come and sing to me any time even if I don't like the song.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. notabene1

notabene1

Login to Send PM

Now, what would this board be without a weekly post lamenting the loss of the good old days? ("I tell you, these kids today…!") But we are talking about a game, right? Rather, the show in the middle of a game. Look, I'm no fan of the over-the-top, breathless spectacles that SuperBowl half-time shows have become. In fact, I'm no fan of the SuperBowl. The only reason my wife and I watch it (and I use the word "watch" loosely) is because it provides us with an excuse to eat a lot of crap we don't usually eat. As for the half-time show, okay, so you didn't like it. Fair enough. But, come on, it was "un-American," and "at odds with traditional values," simply because you didn't like it? That's a bit much, don't you think? To me, the show was quintessentially American: bold, showy, loud, at times even obnoxious, performed by someone who rose up from absolutely nothing to the top of her industry. What's so un-American about that? (All of my red, white and blue jingoistic pride swells just thinking about it.)

And as for your precious "traditional values," I hate to wake you from the powdered-wig fog that you seem to be mired in, but American values have been changing ever since Plymouth Rock. And it's a good thing too. Otherwise we'd all still be bowing and curtsying to english monarchs, African-Americans would still be considered three-fifths of a person, slavery would still be in vogue (with probably it's very own hobbyist website and message board), women wouldn't be allowed to vote, and many of us would be dead already since the average life expectancy back in those glory days of yore was 39.7, with a 12% first year death rate. (Damn those scientists!) But, ah, those were the days, right?

Oh, and one more thing, as for that jazz that some of you enjoy--you know, what some used to call the devil's music--you wouldn't even be aware of it today had it not been for those few brave souls who in the early twentieth century in places like New Orleans, Chicago, and New York had the courage to stand up and say "Screw tradition!" and eased it out of the shadows and into the mainstream. So much for your traditional values.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To Not, Not. Forever Not, Not, Not , Not The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was at work, I'm kinda wondering what happened at this halftime show now

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

notabene1, "Imma letchu finish but first I gotta say"...then the bright future of our country are those brought up with the values of Kanye. That is all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I saw the clip from it later, as I hate sports and won't watch it on TV, if that's what this generation has to offer for talent, I feel really sorry for them. There are no songs with great melodies...it's as if they have run out of all the good songs, and can't come up with anything new.

On another forum, an Assistant Producer stated that the Choreographers took 100% of the dance moves from Janet Jackson, and another performer(forgot who it was),as they knew that no one would have any memory of it, or care if it had already been done before.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gone are the days of pride in American culture. American culture is a rural culture, a farming culture, a land owning culture. And nobody wants that anymore. They want suburbs and HOAs and zoning. So this is what we get for entertainment. We let it happen.

Ole Cajun, sir, we are in the minority.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

American culture is a rural culture, a farming culture, a land owning culture.

I'm not sure that I agree that is the ONLY definition of American culture. It certainly plays a big part in our culture, but then so does the large city hustle and bustle. The commerce, the fun, the barbecues, the apple picking season, etc. We're so much MORE than just one culture and that's because we excel and assimilating other cultures into our own. I'm descended from a huge melting pot of cultures who each brought a little bit of home with them and it's created MY culture. I'm betting 99.9% of us Americans can claim other cultural traditions as our own. Christmas trees started in Germany. How many of us put them up even though we don't have a lick of German ancestry?

bobpnm: Thanks for the heads up. I'm checking it out on Spotify right now.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

it was, how should i say, mediocre. I turned the channel.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perhaps. But I humbly submit this offering:

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. notabene1

notabene1

Login to Send PM

old cajun, what can I say? You got me.

captainsousie, after being assaulted by all manner of huckster, charlatan and grifter over the years from both TV and radio, I think our country has proven to be remarkably resilient. I mean, look, if we can survive the King's English stylings of Ted Nugent, then certainly we can survive the mutterings of Kanye West.

sothron, I don't know the source of your quote, but I know there's a chain email out there that's been making the rounds since 2008. It includes the quote you cited, as well as others--most of them conveniently altered or made up to suit the argument. But here's the complete Jefferson quote you referenced. It's from a letter from Jefferson to Madison, dated December 20, 1787:

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."

Look, I'm no Jefferson scholar, but I don't think in that quote that the old boy was talking about the risks of us being piled upon one another in large cities. Instead, I think he was addressing the fear of a future where too many governments would be piled upon one another (federal, state, local). In other words, being geographically too close to one another, as in Europe, thus engendering possible corruption. I think he was trying to reassure Madison that as long as there was enough physical space separating all those government entities, buffered by vacant land, then all would be well. Sadly, I don't think he was right, but that's for another discussion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To Mr Not , you sir are a intelligent man and a welcome addition to this forum, I only offer this, the 3 most loved commercials for the Super Bowl was #1 the love between man and a horse, #2 the militatry sons and daughters returning home regardless in what vechile that was , and finally #3 Paul Harvey honoring the Farmers of America, fast forward to what is really wrong with America , Pop Culture, do you think the Bouncy Girl can identify with the 3 values that so many Americans identified in the Commericals , NO, Mr Not, please do not take this the wrong way I hope we hear more from you and hope we can make your smokes a pleasure able one. Bradley. AKA. The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not, I stand corrected regarding the full quote. We'll disagree on its interpretation but that's the great thing about a polite forum: we can.

Apologies if any of my posts sound mean-spirited. They are not intended to be. But when one's way of life is under constant attack, one takes it seriously.

Cheers, my friends.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   torque, mrenglish