PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
From the Milan website: "Sunset Rum (Aromatic) Pipe Tobacco - A Virginia blend with Burleys and a modest amount of black Cavendish. Aged in rum for a rich, mild, sweet smoke and fantastic aroma. Fast becoming our best seller!"
Hmm... (I'll explain in a minute.)
First, the aroma from the bag. OMG, it's awesome!! It smells like a rich, rum-soaked pastry made with premium rum. It's all I can do to keep from eating it before I smoke it.
The flavor is really very pleasant (the smoke, not the raw leaf :) ). The tobaccos are silky smooth, with just the right touch of rum. This is a tobacco that I'm going to enjoy a lot.
But [now back to my "Hmm..."], I have to confess a little surprise that this is becoming their best seller. It's very enjoyable, but to me the rum flavor is almost a little lonely, and my tongue keeps trying to expect some underlying flavors to compliment and finish the flavor of the rum.
It really is a very good smoke, but I can see myself trying to blend it with some of my other aromatics to give the rum flavor a little company.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Try drinking a piña colada while you smoke it. Sutliff's Barbados plantation is the same purely rum, its good, but awesome with a piña colada in hand.

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
I have come across so many aromatics that I just want to love but there is SUCH a disconnect between aroma and taste sometimes. To be fair, as with any tobacco, I think much needs to be smoked to appreciate subtleties, but with aromatics I just setimes find my expectations sky high based upon that great smelling bag, only to be dashed by a comparative let down. Sometimes even a well flavored aro pales compared to a bag note, but it just comes with the territory I suppose. I wondered about that blend the other day. Good to see some info on it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.