PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I like tradition. It's part of my nature. And so not surprisingly I have Sunday morning traditional smoke: Briar Fox in a Butz-Choquin bent bulldog.
Is Briar Fox my favorite tobacco? Probably not. But there's something to be said for a tobacco that requires a bit of attention - but not too much. A tobacco that has a bit of complexity, but not too much. A tobacco that is smooth, tastes like tobacco, and works very well in a particular pipe. A tobacco that gets better as I move to the bottom third of the bowl. A tobacco that I can take my time with, as the wife is usually out of the house and I can smoke (outdoors) at my leisure.
I like Virginias. Most of my favorite blends are Virginias or Virginias and Latakia. I'm beginning to enjoy Burley blends as well.
This morning I decided to stray from the tradition just a little - but still a Virginia in a bulldog: Capstan in a Peterson 80S Aran. And I must say that I now have two traditional smokes for Sunday morning.
Though Capstan and Briar Fox do not have the same flavor spectrum, they are similar in the characteristics I described above.
I'd be interested to know if any of you have traditional Sunday (or any other day of the week) smokes.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have this every Sunday, it's Paper time, coffee time and I smoke my S Bangs. I let PMon out to make logs and water wife's flowers, he then comes on the porch for a pat on the head, I tell him Go get the paper and like a flash he gets mine, then a treat then I point at my wife's Sunday paper and he gets that one. Another great treat is he liveing good. I put him in kennel inside retire to pipe room, choose my pipe and smoke in silence Pondering, hot coffee and reflecting on whatever. There is something to say about no distractions. Oh of course I acess Pipemag forums, got to check my friends out. Tobacco of choice, Nitecap of course.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Yikes! That looks cold, I filled the feeders on my snow covered deck this morning and got back inside by the fire. I always smoke a Sunday morning pipe while watching the taking heads on TV. I love early winter (before cabin fever sets in) I can watch football all day without the nagging need to do yard work in the back of my mind. 8O

Sundays, I like to pack an aromatic in the pipe and finish my smoke and cup of coffee while greeting people in the rock garden out front of our church. After church, I'll smoke whatever I want, because we are usually in a hurry to go eat. I guess the most routine part is just dragging my heathen kids out of bed and make them get ready, ha ha!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm retired so everyday is Saturday, or Sunday if you like; coffee, paper, cigar then pipe with my satellite radio. My favorite time of day.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I'm retired so everyday is Saturday, or Sunday if you like; coffee, paper, cigar then pipe with my satellite radio. My favorite time of day.
Ten more years for me...

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Sunday is Church for me, very often when we return from evening Service I will set in the garage and watch the sun go down with a bowl of cherry blend. Winter has arrived here, so it will be a few months before I pick this back up! Its already dark well before we get back.
I think my closest thing to tradition is to smoke my lark when squirrel hunting.

I take my pouch with me, settle in next to a tree and smoke a bowl while the woods quiets down.

My pouch may have anything in it, most of the time it is Carter Hall, and my lark fits in the pouch

the easiest. Its small bowl also fits my timing just about right.

When I was a young teen I remember doing this same thing, only back then it was to keep my parents from knowing.

Some "traditions" start from the most practical of reasons I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.