PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Wow! I just returned home from picking up some Bryce Softee-Bits at my local TinderBox here in the suburban Philadelphia-area.
While waiting to be rung-up, out of curiosity, I checked the pricing of some of the same tinned tabaks the store had which I had just this morning ordered from my favorite online retailer; each which cost me roughly around the $10 per tin.
When I turned over a tin of Mac Baren in the store to read the sticker to compare the B&M price, the price was over $20!
I checked some other tins, and it was the same story - sudden significantly increased prices on all tins. Also, the TB Bulks were always $4.00/oz but now they are increased about 25%; which is a shame as these are mostly re-labeled Lane LTD bulks which run about $2.25/oz online. If memory serves - which it rarely does these days - it seemed to me just last month the tinned tabaks at the B&M usually were about +4.00/tin over the online price; and I never minded paying that to support the B&M.
That was the price differential I was used to, but what I saw today literally stunned me.
Normally, I have no issue asking what is the story with a situation - and in this specific case why the sudden spike in pricing; but I was simply too shocked to do so, and I left totally stymied without finding out why.
Anyone else experienced sudden and significantly increased retail tabak prices at their local B&M ? - Sherm Natman

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I can't really say i'm surprised, up here in Canada the average tin is going for about 30.00 to 32.00. I figured you guys would catch up eventually. Just hoped it wouldn't be so soon.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
B&M's are often privately owned and have an overhead to maintain. Bills and all. This was purchased in 2012 from a B&M so nothing new. Back then the same 100g tin at SPC was under $12.
img_20171218_003336.jpg

I still frequent the place to help small businesses and but there when I can. The present owner is the son of the guy who have me really good smoking advice when I started decades ago and is a great guy. Plus you can go there to smoke, browse his stock, and BS.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
State and city tax increases could account for this. I know in DC, in a matter of about a year, They went from 0 OTP tax to 96% on wholesale. That took a dunhill tin which was in the $11 are to over $27 again all within a year's time.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Embers - I am totally with that; especially having formerly been an owner in retail myself for years (Not tabak). What I am pointing to is a massive jump that just occurred in the last 30 days or so; after very stable pricing for so long. I am wondering if a State or Federal thing happened I am unaware of which would explain the shocking and sudden increase, which took B&M tins from $14.00 to over $20.00 within the blink of an eye - Sherm Natman

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I found a (new to me) cigar store today that had tins of tobacco. The gentleman at the counter said they started carrying pipe tobacco about a year ago. I picked up the last three tins of Dunhill 965 and four tins of Aperitif for $12.95. They still had alot of Standard Mixture left.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
What I am pointing to is a massive jump that just occurred in the last 30 days or so; after very stable pricing for so long. I am wondering if a State or Federal thing happened I am unaware of which would explain the shocking and sudden increase, which took B&M tins from $14.00 to over $20.00 within the blink of an eye - Sherm Natman
Gotcha
Mac Baren did something similar a few years back. Their 100g tins doubled in price literally overnight.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
On the other hand, a lot of B&Ms don't update their prices on old tins. My favorite local B&M has the usual high prices, but I've gotten some steals on 5+ year old tins that went unnoticed.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Who knows? Could be they haven't adjusted prices for awhile and finally got around to it. Perhaps they had a rent increase. Perhaps another B&M in the general area went under and the Tinder Box owner figures he can get a higher price.
Online shops have to maintain similar pricing for obvious reasons. B&M's have a somewhat captive market. They also have no way to compete with the online shops price wise. They aren't selling on price.

dare66

Might Stick Around
Dec 24, 2018
It's hard to hand over your hard earned money to a B&M when you can get it at a much better price online but the consequences are that if you don't they will go away.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Unless you visit there often and even smoke there, there may be no consequence to you if one closes down. When I'm in a B&M that provides value added, I make it a point to purchase some items even at a premium.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
up here in Canada the average tin is going for about 30.00 to 32.00
If you can find me Mac Baren Vanilla Cream or Golden Extra 100gram tins up here for $30 rather than the $12USD plus shipping I pay now, I'll stop ordering online. The two places I found locally that sell them are asking between $65 and $70 per tin.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Tinderbox stores have always had higher prices than independently owned B&Ms. It's no surprise to me.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You'll see the phrase, "Tobacco will never be any cheaper" many times on here. Cellaring is my way to have tobacco when I can no longer afford it. If not for occasional sales I could not justify the expense now. Prices can change at the drop of a hat.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My local B&M has really inconsistent pricing. Some things, like Esoterica, C&D, and Peterson are very competitively priced. Then others, like Mac Baren, are way expensive, like $36 for a 3.5oz can of Dark Twist. My favorite is a Pouch of St. Bruno ready rubbed for $26.50! I shop there often to support local business, but I find myself actually laughing out loud about some of the prices, as we live in a low tobacco tax state.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Embers - Somehow I am recalling the history of Iran's Tobacco Rebellion of the early 1890s; against the British tobacco monopoly and (over)control. - Sherm Natman
"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."
-Ecclesiastes 1:9

Status
Not open for further replies.