PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
We are fastly coming up on hot weather where i live, and this will be my first summer as a pipe smoker. My heavy puffing self can make a bowl hot at freezing temperatures, so what will it be like smoking in the 100 deg temps. I'm already working on slowing my draws for other reasons as well, but it dawned on me today the heat to come.
Any changes to rotation or draw or anything else for the briars sake?

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Thank you for that Cosmo ... Any issues though with the briar getting hotter?
I would add the fact that I work out doors, either on the horse farm, or running a construction job but these days everybody seems to have to smoke out doors if not at his own castle.
Sorrrry Neil .. Think though this way.. when your nice weather does come I will be baking like a sauna with the nastiest bugs you have ever seen that don't survive your winters.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
If getting your briar too hot is a real concern then keep working on slowing down that cadence. By smoking too hot your not only doing a dis-service to the pipe your smoking but to wherever blend it's loaded with and your palette as well. Try getting into a puff cadence that is just enough to barely keep the pipe lit. All those tasty bits of flavor will start coming through in a big way. Good luck with all those bugs you speak of, cold weather does sometimes have its virtues.

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Like Neil...I have a ways to go before the weather starts to get truly warm here. I posted a thread that speaks to the topic of re-lights (the re-invigoration light) and how I do like to the get the bowl going to unlock the deeper flavours of the tobaccos I'm smoking...even if it's burning slow. Maybe that will change for me when the weather warms up. Also...I am a neophyte to pipe smoking and was a former smoker...so I do tend to pull hard and like lots of smoke essence. I know I will mellow over time...as everything does :)

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
When it gets hot I smoke two pipes. I alternate between the two to keep the temp. in the acceptable range.

Status
Not open for further replies.