PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
I am coming to grips with the fact that I just don't enjoy the pipe as much in the hot, humid summer. I really WANT to enjoy it, and maybe I just haven't found the right tobacco blend for it, but it isn't nearly as enjoyable in this environment.

The humidity here in Georgia makes keeping a good smoke going nearly impossible without a thousand relights and lots of gurgling.

And being a primarily English smoker, I just don't find the flavors as enjoyable while smoking outside.

Guess I will just settle for the occasional smoke in the late evenings when I can fit it in, and the monthly pipe club.

Anyone else having the same thing?

-PM

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I don't enjoy it too hot or too cold. I also live in GA and while milder than most regions, its still no fun. But, I do smoke inside...that helps.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Discovered this one night in Sarasota, Fl when Harris joined me- buy one of those portable room air conditioners off Craigslist for maybe $200, set it outside on your deck, and it will blow nice cool air directly on you while you're enjoying your favorite smoke...Works surprisingly well...and the no-see-ums don't seem to like that pocket of cool air either...and the airconditioner is about the right height to act as a table for your bottle of Scotch...:)

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I move to mainly smoking VA's in the summer, the sweet light taste compliments the sunshine.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Smoking at night here in Florida at Zack's is quite comfortable, his ac unit is the balls. In terms of pipe performance, my artisan pipes never gurgle( and never require a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture) or require any more relights than if I was indoors. I make sure the tobacco is properly dried before lighting up. I believe that when you have a high quality pipe that smokes bone dry, it will add to your enjoyment when smoking outside. Outside smoking when humid will test a pipes drilling and quality of briar for sure. I do have pipes that are factory made that do require a few pipe cleaners to soak up moisture if I smoke them outside, which is why I never use those anymore except indoors. If a pipe of mine gurgles, I pretty much lose my mind, I freaking hate it. It is my biggest pet peeve in pipe smoking. I never said I was all there. :crazy:

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I know what you mean about hot and humid weather since I live in Sugar Land, TX just outside of Houston. I try to smoke early in the morning (up until 11:00am) since I have to smoke outside on the patio. I have a patio ceiling fan which helps a little. Many nights I can smoke outside, however, in July and August it is even too hot in the evenings. I don't have any unusual smoking issues like gurgling in the hot and humid climate nor do I find the lighting characteristics have change either. I will omit that the tobacco stays more moist in a humid climate but I take steps to dry my tobacco with a hair dryer if it is too moist.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
For the past 4 weeks we have had weather in the 80-90's. This is HOT for Washington.
I find that it's hard to move out of the livingroom with the air conditioner to outside for a pipe. Even the late evenings have been very warm. We should have 1-2 more weeks of this before it starts to cool down and I can enjoy my pipe again.

mgolfd

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
So I will just dry it out a little longer and see how that goes. Even though its hot the place has a balcony on the beach so i was hoping to get a nice breeze and a smoke or 2 a night. That is the goal anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.