Suitable Bulk Substitute for Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue, Etc... ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Afternoon guys and gals,
Just wondering if anyone knows of a bulk Va flake I could order up, that is comparable to the aforementioned tobaccos, and others of their kind (Brigham Klondike Gold, Rotary Navy Cut, etc.).
I need to satisfy my TAD- desperately, but I also need to save as much money as possible.
Thanks guys!

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Not sure how they compare, but I have heard great things about Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake and Sutliff's Virginia Slices. The price point for both of these is fantastic! Good luck.

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
#400 has a topping that might make it hard to consider as a true bulk alternative. It is a very good tobacco though and you will likely still enjoy it.
PS Navy Flake might be the closest thing to what you are asking for in bulk form, even though its a VaPer.
I'm not too well versed with McCleland but would suggest looking into their bulk offerings too.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I had a sample of that sent to me with my last TAD. It seemed heavily cased, and with something artificially sweet, to boot. Didn't care for that. Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Twoonefive- I actually smoke LNF all day long, at least up until the evening hours. But, like you said, it has Perique in it, which I seem to be super sensitive to in the morning. I need a couple bowls of a pure Va to get me started in the morning.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well that's what my mom would call "sit down quality at fast food prices". Probably will be tough to find what you are looking for,especially if you're already trying the PS stuff. It's not bulk, but have you tried any of the McBarron products like mixture flake or navy flake? At like $13 for a 100 gram tin, it's a good price.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Orlik Golden Slice, when caught on sale, IMO is about as close to that level of quality for bulk prices as you can get.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
How about Peter Stokkebeye Luxury Twist Flake? No perique there. If it doesn't HAVE to be a flake then there is something like MacBaren Virginia No. 1, or several bulk offerings from McClelland.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
It doesn't come bulk - but Opening Night by V&D is fantastic. And it does come in the 8oz tins which are very affordable. If you like McClelland VA's ( which I do ) I believe one of the bulks is basically 2015 minus the perique. It's in the 2000's I believe....I like 2015 alot and the VA component is top notch.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
Also....Bright CR Flake by G&H is worth checking out...and its not Lakeland scented

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
lost, honestly I don't think you will find anything that is like those two in bulk. I love SG Best Brown flake but it is definitely different. You should try a sample of it and see what you think. It is not as tasty as the two you mentioned fresh, but with some good age, it is sublime. What I love about the Captstan and Dunhill is how great they smoke fresh.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
@Harris: Finally- the FlakeMaster has spoken!
You should change your forum name to that. It'd be more fitting.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
lost, thanks for the compliment. I am smoking through some 2006 Best Brown and it is amazing. It is well worth aging and you may find you like it fresh as well. I enjoyed it fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.