PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

glpsmoker

Lurker
Aug 19, 2016
Greetings gentlemen,
I have a question for the experienced pipe smoker who enjoys a good hot tea with his tobacco.
The question is simply this: What tea should I drink with my tobacco of choice (I'll start with my top two in my current rotation)? I would prefer something that my tobacco complements. The number one tobacco in my rotation is Quiet Nights by GL Pease. For those of you who don't know (however, you should.... I mean its G.L. Pease for Pete's sake...) It is an English blend composed of the basic leaves for the style (Latakia, Virginias, Orientals), plus some Acadian Perique. Id say over all its smooth, yet full bodied, creamy and obviously smokey due to the latakia. The perique gives it that light peppered flavor, and behind all that are lighter notes of leather and wood. It is a very deep and complex blend, favoring a smooth and rich flavor over an "in your face" latakia/perique bomb. Pairs very will with a quality dark roast coffee.
The second tobacco in my rotation is Escudo. I'm sure most of you have tried it as it is quite a popular blend. Primary notes are fresh cut hay, nuts, pepper, and the ever-present sweetness throughout the bowl. Its creamy, but more on the bright side of creamy I'd say. Pairs very well with a quality medium roast coffee. Though I haven't tried it, I'd imagine it would even make a light roast worth trying.
I have paired my tobacco with whiskey, scotch, and coffee. My favorite pairing being a quality coffee brewed in a French press. However, I feel as if its time to try something new. I figured tea would probably pair quite well.
I enjoy loose leaf tea (primarily herbals, which I hear don't pair well with pipe tobacco).

I'm not big on black tea. However, I am willing to try it with a pipe in hand.

I do enjoy a good green tea.

I don't like chai tea. I probably will not enjoy any spiced tea for that matter. You would really have to convince me to get me to consider it.

That's about all I know as far as tea goes. I have a nice cast iron pot to steep it in. Once I find a tea I enjoy, I will probably purchase a clay pot for that tea specifically.
If I try something any of you suggest, and I enjoy it, I'll post a review of the pairing.
Thanks,
Glpsmoker

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not a fan of either, but, that being said, for an English blend, Twinings Lapsang Souchong, and for VaPer blends, a good Earl Grey.
Edit: I like most of Pease's offerings, just not Quiet Nights. Big fan of Meridian though!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, everyone's tastes are radically different, but here goes: With anything considered a burley-forward codger blend, I find I enjoy black coffee the most. Everything else, Earl Grey tea seems to do the trick. In my drinking days, a good stout such as Guinness was my favorite pairing with Lat bombs. I have not found a suitable replacement for that combo yet.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Lapsang Souchong
Commonly known as smoked tea, it is made by smoke-drying the fourth and fifth leaves of the tea plant over pinewood fires, giving it a delicious smoky flavor. So if you like that smoke-house taste you’ll probably enjoy it with your Quiet Nights.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have no clue why anyone would want to color the taste of either fine tobacco or fine tea by confounding the tastebuds with a mixture of both.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Any brand of a good quality large cut leaf black tea. Try adding a few cardamom seeds. I prefer green cardamom.

Boil seeds for a few minutes and use that "stock" to brew your tea

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like many kinds of tea, but over time have gone back to black tea, and my far-and-away favorite is P&G Tips, which is often available around here in Indian groceries. Surprisingly, sometimes grocery-store house brand teas, black and green, are both unusually good and low priced. Earl Grey is okay, but I got tired of the bergamot, find it a little cloying, while straight tea is crisp and bracing. One more notion: A late friend of mine found a brilliant combination of peach herbal tea and fresh grapefruit wedges; it sounds iffy, but it is surprisingly good to many.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 Lapsang Souchong: smokey, smokey, smokey with a Latakia blend, followed by a wee dram of a peaty single malt whisky.
Also recommend:

Twining's Pure Peppermint + Twining's Pure Camomile + honey to sweetness preference - this combo tames nicotine side-effects.
Tazo Passion: hibiscus, orange peel, rose hips, & passion fruit - very good hot, & a good alternative to lemonade when chilled (it is similar to, but more subtle than Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger)
Celestial Seasonings Morning Thunder: black tea + maté - nothing like a herd of buffalo & a good smoke to get you going in the morning.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
What we call herbal tea is actually referred to as an infusion. I like chinese white tea.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
King Cole Tea, orange pekoe, only available in eastern Canada. I actually take it with me when traveling.
100_kc_tea_web-600x379.jpg

It's been around for a while
0110.jpg

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Adam (thesillyoldbear) wrote a fantastic tea and tobacco pairing guide for SP a while back: https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/tea-and-tobacco-pairing-guide
Tea1.JPG

beenjammin

Lurker
Jul 15, 2016
Harney and Sons is probably the best brand available, in my opinion.
Since I see a lot of people recommending Lapsang Soughing, I will recommend their blend called Russian Country. It is a Lapsang blend with more body, but still plenty of smokiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.