PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piedpiper21

Lurker
Feb 25, 2015
I'm new to pipe smoking (about a month with just a simple corncob) and I've only smoked about 4 different kinds of tobacco. All have been English blends and I really enjoy them. But I really want a Virginia Flake that I like. I tried a bowl of full Virginia flake that a buddy of mine enjoys but found it to be far too harsh for my liking. So does anyone have any suggestions for a good starter Virginia blend?

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Hello piedpiper. I would suggest trying Orlik Golden Sliced or PS Luxry Navy Flake which are on the lighter side. I would also suggest that you may have found FVF harsh because you smoked it to quickly, Virginias really need to be smoked slowly to avoid becoming hot and harsh.
I hope that is of some help to you and good luck trying different blends.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Orlick Golden Sliced and Peter Stokkebye luxury offerings (Navy, Twist, Bullseye) would all be good choices. The Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake is also quite good in my opinion.
The biggest thing with smoking any virginia tobacco is to slowww dowwwn. You almost want to be on the razor's edge of the bowl going OUT, even. The slower you smoke, the cooler the burn, and the more flavor you will receive with less tongue bite/irritation. It takes some practice and toying around with this, since each blend is different, and each pipe smoker is a bit different.
One thing I would advise is to pick a virginia tobacco and then smoke nothing but that tobacco for at least two weeks. For example, if you had a tin of Orlick Golden Sliced: that is literally the only stuff going into your pipe for 2 whole weeks when you're in the mood for a pipe. As you smoke it more often, you will begin to pick up more of the flavor and the details of the flavor. Sounds crazy, but it's been my experience that this works very well.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
It's hard to go wrong with the Orlik golden sliced - I'm sure that suggestion with come up frequently in this thread.
Personally, I would suggest you give Samuel Gwaith's Kendal Cream flake a go. Its a Va/burley blend where the Virginia leaf is very forward, the burley playing a supporting accent role. The burley ends up making the Va a bit brighter and kind of pop. It's a rich smoke, goes very well with coffee or a smoky tea. Word of warning, as with all SG tins, be sure to let those soggy flakes dry out before you try and smoke them.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sounds like you smoked too big a bowl of something new and strong. It's not uncommon for me to take awhile to appreciate a new blend. I recommend a VaBur or VaPa...PS LNF or LBE, Erinmore, HH LNF, ESCUDO.

cpjeffrey11

Might Stick Around
Feb 24, 2015
Orlik was my first VA flake, and of all the flakes I've tried it seemed the most approachable.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Virginia flakes take a bit of practice. When I first tried FVF I hated it. I described the flavor as akin to stable hay after the horse had pooped on it. Letting the flakes thoroughly dry out, which was a matter of several hours, before smoking them made an enormous difference. I now love that blend. Check out Ratray's Marlin flake.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Are you looking for a straight VA flake? I know many posters have suggested Orlick's Golden Sliced, and some PS Navy, Bullseye Flakes and while they're excellent smokes keep in mind they have perique in them as well.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I think Dunhill Flake would be a good pick for a straight VA. It's not overly strong. Also Capstan Yellow would be good to try. I prefer Blue, but the Yellow is milder.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I really enjoy the Peter Stokkebye flakes. They are inexpensive as well, so if you don't like them, your not loosing much. I also enjoy Fire Dance Flake.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
As above the Stokkebye's and Orlik make good starters, and Marlin Flake is a tasty treat. I've found the Fribourg & Treyer flakes pretty easy going, good flavor and pretty easy to keep lit.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake,

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Twist Flake,

McClelland - Matured Virginias No. 27,

Dunhill Flake.
There's a couple of just good straight Va's that are in my cellar that I like.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Are you looking for a straight VA flake? I know many posters have suggested Orlick's Golden Sliced, and some PS Navy, Bullseye Flakes and while they're excellent smokes keep in mind they have perique in them as well.
This. VaPers and straight VAs are definitely not the same animal. Close, but definitely different. If you want a STRAIGHT Virginia, you have a few good suggestions already, here is my list:
F&T Cut Virginia Plug

Dunhill Flake

Capstan Blue
All of these flakes are mild, tasty, and relatively easy to prepare. CVP is one of my favorites.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I would go with Capstan gold flake or Orlik Golden slices. Capstan Blue can be a bit much for the first time flake smoker. Holger Danske Royal Navy flake is a good straight virginia you rarely hear about on the forums as well.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
If you found FVF harsh, you might have been puffing it like a Latakia/English blend or smoking it out of a huge bowl. Took me quite a while to ease into Virginias, flakes or mixtures. Fresh OGS bites me like a ferret still, and LTF gives me a sore throat. A good intro to VA flakes would be, IMO, G&H Best Brown #2 .... it's actually a Va/Burley flake with a slight grassy note, and very forgiving. If you wanted a straight VA, then you might find Brigham Klondike Gold quite pallatable. Remember to give these guys a little drying time, as most will not be at their best straight out the tin, especially if you like to puff away like I do.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
This. VaPers and straight VAs are definitely not the same animal. Close, but definitely different. If you want a STRAIGHT Virginia, you have a few good suggestions already, here is my list:
F&T Cut Virginia Plug

Dunhill Flake

Capstan Blue
You are correct "highplains" It was my intention in my post to let him know that all the VaPers mentioned by other members had perique in them. What I failed to include was that they weren't in fact STRAIGHT VA's. That was the the tone of my post, but my execution sucked.
I agree with you on 2 of the 3 Straight VA's you mentioned. However, I didn't much care for the F&T Cut VA Plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.