Suggestions for someone new to non-aromatics??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I've just recently started smoking my pipes again after almost a 20 year forced hiatus (my ex had asthma), so I get to start having the fun of finding new favorite tobaccos. I'd always stuck to aromatics when I smoked before, and I'm like a kid in a candy store ordering and trying new aromatic tobaccos. But I'd also like to try some non-aromatics, and I'd welcome suggestions on some good 'entry-level' non-aromatic tobaccos for someone who's new to the genre

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
For starters, welcome to the forum.
First question - do you have access to a good B&M store or, failing that, have you got a store doing e-commerce you've developed a relationship with? If the answer to one of those questions is "yes", then start there.
If not, I would strongly recommend checking out tobaccoreviews.com. There are thousands of reviews there. In your case, I would suggest reading reviews of several blends you like, as well as several you don't like. Find a reviewer whose tastes generally match yours. Then see what other blends he likes. This could take a while, but will be more apt to be helpful than any suggestions I might give you.
But I'll give you some of my favorites anyway, since you asked.
  • Peterson Old Dublin - my go-to English blend, available only in tins[/*]
  • SG Squadron Leader - another "every day" sort of English blend for me, available in both bulk or tins, but with availability problems of late. [/*]
  • McCranie's Red Ribbon - a very fine Virginia[/*]
I'll leave it there,since some of my other faves are definitely not for people venturing away from aromatics for the first time.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Welcome back to the wonderful world of the pipe and this excellent forum.
As Jud mentioned above, have a look at the tobacco reviews and make a note of what you think of the blends that you try, plus what is in them. That way, as you try various blends , you will start to see a pattern of blends that contain certain types of tobacco appearing on your likes or dislikes list.
I would second the Squadron Leader recommendation as it is a classic "English Blend" but it isn't over powered by the Latakia content. If you like a good hit of nicotine, you might want to try Peterson Irish Flake. If you want something with a good tobacco taste with a little less nicotine, try Peterson University Flake or Dunhill Flake. Although it is, strictly speaking an aromatic, I'd also recommend Peterson Nutty Cut as it is not as perfumed as most aromatics and might be a good transition blend. As you can see - I highly rate most of Petersons stable of blends as well as Samuel Gawith and Dunhill.
My main advice would be, try a blend (see if any tobacconists will do a sample size) to see if you like it. Then go to the reviews and find a reviewer who agrees with your thoughts on that blend. You can then look at other posts from that reviewers and see what else they like or dislike.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Try Anniversary Kake by Hearth and Home Tobaccos. It's a VaPer w/ a little something extra and a good bit of natural sweetness.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Pipes and cigars will let you put togather your own sampler at a resonable cost . As always I recomend Rattrays line of tobacco .

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
There are English samplers from some of the vendors on this site as well. Go for the samplers!

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Cornell and Diehl or Pipes and Cigars can put you together some nice samplers that can cover a wide variety of tobacco types. If you go for C&D and want to try an English, I highly recommend #416 Plantation Evening. In a P&C sampler, don't miss out on Anniversary Kake (VA/Per) or Ten to Midnight and/or Larry's Blend (English). Welcome back to the pipe smoking world!
Smokey

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I recomend it to everyone who is starting non aromatics, It was the highest recomended to me by my many pipe mentors at the club, Orlik golden sliced.
Also very good and different is the mississippi river by the seattle pipe club, not my club, but gotta say its a good blend

Dec 4, 2011
I am a new Pipe Smoker. Well sort of new as I started just over a year ago. So I started with Captain Black White and then Sunset Breeze after that Mac Barren Vinella Cream. I tried to Get into non Aromatics by trying University Flake. I figured that it Had a mild flavor topping so It would be a good choice but it burned my throat. So this week I took the plunge and placed an order for Peterson Old Dublin and Frog Morton. I went to my local tobacco shop looking for a Brigham pipe to smoke it in and walked out with a Peterson System 317. I just got in from my first bowl of Old Dublin and it was great it is sweet and mild and tastes and smells like quality tobacco. the smoke coming out of the pipe is cool I mean real cool like sucking on a small straw.The after taste is nice. I don't feel the need to chew gum because I have a sweet taste in my mouth. So I would give Old Dublin a chance if I were you.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
If you're thinking Latakia rember all blends aren't the same strength.Some have more Latakia than others.You might start with something not real heavy.Frog Morton On The Town is one of my favorite milder blends.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Some everyday non-aros that will be great to start with and that you will still have in your rotation 10 years from now.
Frog Morton on the Town

Squadron Leader

Penzance

Erinmore
None of them overly challenging, all satisfying.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
You could always try Gawith and Hoggarths Ennerdale, this is a good cross between a aromatic and an English blend, you get the best of both worlds with this one.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
These are 3 of my favorites:

Orlik Golden Sliced

Presbyterian Mixture

Frog Morton on the Town

Good Luck with your search :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
Frog Morton On The Town is one of my favorite milder blends
+1 for Frog Morton On the Town.
I just recently discovered the Froggy, having just popped a tin of the Original. The original Frog Morton is a very tasty and mild treat, full flavored enough to be satisfying but not so Latakia heavy that it will be off putting to a first time English smoker. Highly, highly, HIGHLY recommended!

Status
Not open for further replies.