PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to buy a couple of new pipes, I have a small but growing collection (assorted Peterson, Savinelli, Stanwell, etc)...I have to order online as I'm currently living in Romania...I can get hold of pipes from USA or UK pretty easily...I'm considering a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original pipe plus some others are under consideration at the moment...
what do you guys suggest for my next pipe purchase? looking to buy 3 pipes or so, and spend no more than $150 on each pipe...I know it's all subjective and buyers preference, and I definitely have clear ideas on what I"m leaning to, just interested to know what all you guys would/will be buying for your next few pipes!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
There are two pipe and tobacco shops in Constanta, and at least one in the Mall in Bucharest. The shop in the old part of Constanta was in the multistory mall, the other was at the giant mall on the other side of the city. Had a Dunhill or two at $350.00 American when I was there last, about 2 years ago. Otherwise, they had Wessex and Butz Choquin pipes.

That being said, I would buy Peterson and Briarworks pipes for my friends there, bringing them back from the US.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have to follow your heart and instincts, so recommendations aren't going to do much good. But while you're shopping, take a look at Johs, Big Ben, and Chacom ... there are so many. Among Peterson, take a look at the B11 brandy in several of their series, full size light weight bent sitter. I doubt any of these will ring your chimes. You just have to look until something stops you, several stop you, and then just go from pipe to pipe until you decide.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
gandalfspipe, I don't know what winds brought you to this forsaken land, but ... welcome to Romania. You will get the hang of how things work around here, some for the good some for the bad. As far as pipes and pipe tobacco I can only recommend the following:

- For estate pipes: www.okazii.ro (similar to ebay), over the past year I have bought some nice pieces on this website, although in order to get the good ones you have to log in every so often and keep an eye out. If you are not willing to create an account you have an alternative www.olx.ro And yes you will have to search in Romanian ... try "pipa" or "pipa pentru tutun". The rest you can figure out using google translate

- For new pipes, there are two national retailers operating in the major cities: Bucharest, Cluj, Timisoara, Constanta.
https://www.jpb.ro/en (this one has an english version, you can order online - although as I am travling through europe I find them a tad pricey in comparison to other stores for say in Germany, France, Italy - the upside is that transportation costs are next to nil)
https://www.tobaccoshop.ro/ - they have some nice pipes, but I mostly use this site for their tobacco inventory, which is much richer than jpb.
If there is anything I can do to help, or if you ever find yourself in Timisoara and want a smoking companion, pm me.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Smokingpipes.com just advertised some Ropp pipes that have bowls that were turned back in the 30s and 40s from Algerian briar. Just a tad over $100. Might be a good place to look.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If I was on the continent I'd be looking for old, odd estates, but that's just me... seems that there isn't as much of a price hit on pipes I've bought from Europe.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
If it were me... today... I'd go with an Il Ceppo or Mimmio from lepipe.it, a Soren Refbjerg or Pedar Jeppesen from the danish pipe shop and am eltang project pipe from danish pipe shop.
If you really want a Peterson, Look at Pipe Divan also.
FYI, you'll likely get a 10% off coupon at lepipe.it on your first buy.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I also suggest browsing the selection at LePipe.it -- one of our site sponsors (listed in left hand column of this page). Excellent inventory and very reasonable prices.

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
thanks so much everyone for the replies, I have been following all the links provided and suggestions...discovering lepipe.it has really been great, even if it may be bad news for my wallet! PAD is very much in force at the moment!
Madox07 that's so awesome! I will PM you, I have been here for almost 9 years now, originally from the UK but living and working here as a volunteer, we have a NPO here...will look forward to meeting up at some point soon in Timisoara for a pipe and good conversations!
I really like the Sherlock Holmes Original shape & style of pipe from Peterson, but see mixed reviews both for Peterson, and this line of pipes in particular...I only have one Peterson pipe at the moment, but it's a great smoker...are there big reasons for avoiding Peterson pipes that I should be concerned about, apart from the subjectivity of people liking other brands/pipes better? Quality concerns, etc?

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Well, I just ordered one of the 3 pipes I've budgeted for, and funnily enough it wasn't one that was even on my radar, or from the suggestions here...I bought the Savinelli Bing's Favorite...I'm a sucker for Bing Crosby movies/that whole old nostalgia thing, plus it looks like a beautiful pipe even without the Bing reference...very excited to try it out when it arrives!
https://eu.pipeaporter.com/category-savinelli-pipes/savinelli-bing-s-favorite-p165l.html
Now on to the next 2 pipes...lepipe is looking like it might be the winner for the next one! although the Clark's Favorite got me thinking too but that might be a future purchase I think...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Those Savinelli Bings are nice looking pipes. The chamber diameter is about as small as I would go, personally, but I think it would be a great flake pipe for just that reason. :clap:

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Thanks hobie1dog! I have to say I love my Peterson Harp but i've only been in the hobby for the last year or so, so maybe my standards or eye for these things aren't as honed or refined as all of you veterans...i'd love to learn more from you guys about what makes a pipe 'perfect' i.e. how different sizings of stem/holes, etc. affects everything...
well I've made another decision! I have managed to find a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson No.2 Smooth....love the shape of the calabash and it's my first Stanwell...example here: https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/stanwell-hans-christian-anderson-no-2-brown-polished-calabash-9mm-smoking-pipe
for my third and final pipe (for this round of PAD!), i'm considering this pipe: https://www.lepipe.it/en/scheda.asp?id=339 from lepipe.it. fitzy thanks for the lepipe/provenzano recommendation! beautiful pipes, slightly above my budget but seem worth it!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That is the exact pipe I've been eyeing since it showed up on their website. It had been taken down for a few days so I thought it was sold but now it looks like it's back up.
If I didn't have a commissioned pipe coming from Adam aka Clickclick I would have bought it. lol
It's amazing how light his pipes are considering the thickness of the walls.

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
ha fitzy funny we were looking at the same pipe! especially as you introduced me to them! i guess i had better be quick to grab it lol!
well the order is done now, I bought the Stanwell HCA no. 2 smooth, and couldn't resist throwing in a MM Cobbit Shire Churchwarden, MM Patriot and MM Legend corncob pipes too...everyone speaks so highly of the corn cobs, and seeing as I'm still experimenting with tobaccos and tastes, figured I'd try the cobs out too...
looking to do the Provenzano order this week, then think I had better slow down on the PAD for awhile...

Status
Not open for further replies.