PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
So, my husband will be starting a welding job that'll have him busy 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week :?. He's a wiry carb junky who couldn't put on a pound to save his life and he's constantly eating (so jealous). He'll be working outside, in the heat, made hotter by the fact that he'll be welding, and hotter yet in his leather safety gear.
I want to pack him a hearty lunch and plenty of snacks that will both fill, energize, and refresh him during those 12 hours in the sun. We have an insulated igloo lunch box that I want to fill with cold stuff that he can look forward to. Nothing that'd get soggy over that period of time. Ideas...?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like he needs a serious water supply, if that isn't provided by the work site, and enough

salt to keep him stable with that. The protein powder sounds like a good idea. Make sure it's

quality protein. Sounds like he's going to need actual food that's balanced between carbs and

proteins, like whole grain or rye bread if he can do it, and some kind of protein like cheese,

cold cuts, and maybe some salted nuts. A pickle can be good, for salt, if it doesn't leak, if he

likes them. It all has to be items he'll eat and drink, needless to say, or it will feed the possums.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Jesus, make him some sammitches woman. Men have survived on them since they were created.
Also if you add a tiny bit of salt to some kind of sugary beverage, like powdered ice tea, it's basically homemade gatorade that's really good for replenishing electrolytes.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
+1 to beer. Militaries across the world would give their soldiers beer for sustenance and energy, not to mention morale boosting!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Protein powder doesn't cut it compared to real food. Unless you're trying to intake insane amounts of protein for bodybuilding and ruining your kidney's in the process, it doesn't fill you up at all. There are some good meal replacement shakes though that are think and fill you up, but they'd just be good for a snack. You're better off with a handful of almonds then protein powder. Ideally you want to eat small meals close together, but being on the job you don't have time for that. Fruits and veggies are usually what I'll eat during my break, the fruit's sugars give you energy.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Boiled eggs, cheese sticks / cubes, beef jerky, salted nuts, celery with peanut butter, apples ...
LOTS of fluids with electrolytes, as mentioned.
You're a good partner for looking out for him ... cheers! :)

Mar 31, 2014
Andrew: Ha! Yes, well, I will be including some sandwiches. But I'd like to create some variety.
Maybe a protein powder with lots of other stuff in it, more filler than protein, that way he could chug down some calories really quick as an added snack, not a meal supplement. As for the beer, I'm the only one who drinks it. Andy's stone cold sober. At least we can have a bowl of pipe tobacco together at the end of the day :)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Depends on what kind of welding he is doing, production line he will have a fan on him, vessel welding he will sweat bocoups, I worked a lot of welders at Exxon , never seen them have a big Appitete , drinks, snacks that boost and replenish the electrolights in body. If work furnishes lens cleaners good if not a small pack in lunch box will be appreciated. Good heavy cotton long sleeve shirts, keep the sparks off of you, rip his ass if you hear he"s not wearing his safety gear ( Safety Glasses). More to welding than just eating.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Beer has iron and B vitamins, too.
One thing to consider; make sure that some of what you are packing is complex carbohydrates (whole grain, or high fiber). Otherwise his blood sugar could swing up and then down.
And nuts such as almonds and walnuts are good for you and provide a lot of energy, due to their beneficial (unsaturated) fats.

Dec 24, 2012
Beer is terrible on a hot day
This is the most shocking and sacrilegious thing I have ever read on this forum.
Surely Yankee beer must be fine since that is really just water? :rofl:

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
We used to take pasties and pork pies when we was working a long day on the moors.
Bring him pastry and meat and veg. And a good four or five pints when he gets home, that'll give him the unction to keep going.

Mar 31, 2014
rsuninv: I get you on the protein powder. But I've never heard of sandwiches being too heavy for him. But, he is a pb&j guy, and I bet most do cold cuts, so maybe that's where you're coming from. And I can't say no to getting salts from more natural sources. I trust your experience and we're aren't the types to ignore advice from those who have "been there, done that." Thank you.
We have a saying on long distance hiking trails, "if you're thirsty, you're too late." And I'm seeing nuts all over this thread, I think he could handle a few mouths full of those :lol:
(He'll be welding structural steel outside in what might as well be the desert)

Status
Not open for further replies.