Anything Similar to Dunhill 965 in Tins?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascal

Lurker
Mar 17, 2013
Greetings,
I love Dunhill 965. I travel a lot and have been stocking up on 965 tins.

Any suggestions for excellent English blends in tins?
Thanks in advance,

Mark

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
i just bought some London Mixture on the P&C sale, can't wait to try it kashmir

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Excellent English blends in tins - that'll open the floodgates.

You might enjoy Sam Gawith Squadron Leader or Peterson Old Dublin. Both are classic all day English blends, and blow Dunhill out of the water, IMO.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I actually just 'discovered' 965 and find it a perfect blend that is inbetween Early Morning and Nightcap, which I find a bit too strong for my taste. I recently ordered a bulk pound from 4noggins and am very pleased.
Jud, sounds like I'm going to have to try the Peterson's and SG versions.
Thanks

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
Try Presyterian Mixture, IMHO the best Oriental.

And if to add to it a bit of Robert McConnell's Pure Latakia it will shine even more.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Pascal:
If you're really looking for something similar to 965 -- and not just an English blend -- you are looking for a medium-weight, balanced English with cavendish. Unless I overlooked something, I don't believe anyone has mentioned any blends so far that fit that specific profile.
For me, Rattray's is one of the best blenders for producing English-with-cavendish blends. I would especially recommend Black Mallory and 3 Noggins. They are excellent blends, IMO. Jocks Mixture is one of my Top 5 blends as well. . . but the latakia is virtually imperceptible and there are no other orientals, so that may be too far outside of the "965" profile for you.
Of course, it's hard to find these days, but Esoterica's Penzance is an English with cavendish as well, and another one of my Top 5.
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Unless I overlooked something, I don't believe anyone has mentioned any blends so far that fit that specific profile.
According to Peterson,OD has some black cavendish in it.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Ahh, thanks for the correction, Jud!
I've tried Old Dublin, but it didn't make a great first impression. The tin I had was so light-bodied, it came off as just an "okay" light English that I tired of before finishing the tin.
Bob

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
A blend that you may want to try is McClelland's Blue Mountain. This tobacco was the winner of the 2011 People's Choice award and a 21 year old Mixture 759 was the inspiration for the tobacco. Its a real sleeper and is usually under the radar, why I don't know. Great tobacco.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I love Exotique, In-B-Tween, and select. Those are my go to wveryday English blends.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Select mixture flies well under the radar. It is THE mild English, as you said, but those Virginia's are to die for. I have 8 tins put away, waiting for 20 years or so ;)
I will add, thy I have yet I be disappointe by any SH blend. Exotique, which is represented by the 8oz tins in my cellar, is at the top of the list for oriental blends. Take my word for it, when it stops being made, as all blends do eventually, the prices will reach the same level as any Sobranie blend.
I have several pounds of Exotique that will age extremely well over the next couple decades.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
They say they will be getting regular shipments, how true that is I don't know. It is blended by Germain, so it's a crap shoot really. Stock up while you can is all I have to say.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Roth,

You hit a good point. I have often been asked by some friends, why I buy expensive/vintage tins. My answer I simple, to me at least. On a good day, I can smoke 3-4 bowls, normally it's 2. I smoke smaller pipes. A bowl can last an hour to two depending on the blend. I'm talking about group 3 at most.
A 50g tin of tobacco can lat two weeks to a month. I smoke a bowl of SG fVF everyday. And I'll have a bowl of something real nice. Some Balkan Sobranie I have stashed, some old Garfinkel blends.. You get the point.
Unless you are smoking 10 bowls a day, is it real important to worry about splurging on a nice vintage or hard to gettin? In my eyes no. I fully agree with stocking a cellar, and I do. I also smoke OGS often, and some GH blends. I have built and continue to build a cellar. But I would rather smoke 2 bowls of some fantastic tobacco, then ten bowls of something that is good but not great.
Sorry to hi jack this thread, just a thought on the prices, and justification for the above recommended blends, in the case that you thought the price was high.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
You might try Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard. Many have commented on how it was very similar to 965.

It's available from B&B Tobacconists in Asheville, NC or from 4noggins.com.
Might be worth a shot.
Rich

4noggins.com

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
MM965 is my go-to blend. For myself, similar blends I enjoy are:

- EMP

- Nightcap
I tried but didn't really enjoy London Mixture. I tried Old Dublin twice and just found it to be awful both times (Lestrout can't figure that one out).
Similar bulk blends are:

- Boswells RR Station

- P&C (Home & Hearth?)Admiralty

pascal

Lurker
Mar 17, 2013
Just an update, last night on the way home I rushed to a store and bought Dunhill London Mixture, Squadron Leader and Balkan Sasieni. I could not wait to try London Mixture and what a great smoke it was. I had a few since. Thanks Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.