PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Looking for some suggestions here on the forums. What two blends that are a must try mixed together? Looking for something Va sweet like. Thanks in advance guys!

Looking for something Va sweet like. Thanks in advance guys!

One of my favorites to mix, and I do it all the time is Peter Stokkebye's LTF and LNF. I take the two flake pressed together and twist them and cork screw them into the bowl. The casings compliment each other and reduce that strong flavor that LTF has.
I could also list an extensive list of things that I find very pleasant together, but they usually involve aromatics, mixed as a way to make aromatics more balanced with a tobacco flavor, like ODF and Solani's Mango Flake, PS Dark Fired and any fruit aromatic, some cigar leaf and any vanilla would all be a starter.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
@Cosmic i like the idea of adding flavor but keeping it more of a tobacco balance. Top 3 mixes?

Newminster Blackberry Brandy and SG Firedance

Of course the mentioned ODF and Solani's Mango Flake

Stanwell's Melange (which is an apricot aro) and ODF is a good one too.

Some maduro leaf and CAO's Moontrance is pretty tastey.
But my all time favorite mix is... Sutliff's Molto Dolce mixed with GH&co Coconut Twist. Wife tested, wife approved... Bow chicka bow wow. :puffy:

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Sutliff's Molto Dolce mixed with GH&co Coconut Twist
Just ordered them. Let ya know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions gents!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Its a classic, but I never tire of it. Like having a double scoop caramel fudge sundae with M&Ms on top :P
50/50 Lane 1Q and Lane BCA

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I made some plugs from 70% 40th anniversary + 22% wessex burley slices + 8% perrique. Sweet fruity notes with spicy chocolate in the background. Pretty amazing stuff.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm not really much of a fan of mixing, but I do like McClelland's pre mixed red and black Virginia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jayski, I think mixing aros could be tricky, since flavorings could have odd interactions, but it's worth a try ... could be delicious. An easier way to success, in my opinion, would be to buy some unflavored condiment or single leaf tobacco and use it to doctor other blends, aromatic or not. Unflavored Cavendish, Latakia and/or Perique if you like them, cigar leaf, Five Brothers for high nic burley, Turkish, single-leaf Virginias, and so on. You can go for half or a third (etc.) on these, but also try a pinch, for a flavor note. Let us know what you find good.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
I know its not much of a stretch but Beacon Extra and 5100 about 50/50 was my favorite mix. I guess I'm not much of a risk taker, LOL.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Will definitely try LTF and LNF together, hadn’t thought to do that!
I lik Sutliff VA slices with Five Brothers burley, as recommended by another on this forum. Pow!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I haven't experimented with mixes yet. But I have been enjoying the last of some 2 plus year old McClelland 3 Oaks. A friend recently gave me an older tin. I have a one pound bag of HH Syrian. Was thinking about mixing it with McClelland 5100 to see if I can come close to replicating 3 Oaks. What would I use for some Oriental leaf? What % of Latakia, 5100 and Oriental would you think would start to get me in the ballpark?

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Prince Albert and Blood Red Moon. Sir Walter Aromatic and 1792. Burley Lite W/O Bite and Perique. Peterson PP and Orlik GS. Ennerdale and Dark Air Cured.

Mark, half the fun of blending, especially if you are trying to match something, is experimenting. I would start with bowl sized mixtures. I make a ring the size of a half dollar and put some of one in it to match the size, and then a dime sized circle to spread some latakia in. Then increase and decrease the circles.
As a die hard McClelland fan, I am embarrassed to say that I have never tried 3 Oaks. So, I have no idea whether you should start with a tiny bit or move to a 50/50 mix. The circles will help keep up with whether you added 20%, 30%, or 50% by estimation.

Does it have any Turkish in it? Sometimes they add just a little of one of the many orientals to play off the latakia. Sometimes with some blends, they can have a massive amount of latakia in it, but because of the play of blended tobaccos it doesn't taste like a lat-bomb. Russ posted about this when he first sent out samples of WhiteKnight.
But, keep an open mind while you are experimenting. You may find a blend that you make to be even better than the blend that you are trying to match. I have just randomly mixed some stuff haphazardly, and made something I couldn't reproduce, but I had wow'd myself with. For those of us whole like to smoke for new flavors and experiences, besides aging blends or baking tins, blending is a great way to try new things that no one has ever tried before.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
50/50-Black XX Twist and ODF
50/50-JackKnife Plug and ODF
50/50-Penzance and 1-Q
1 part each-1792 Flake,Conniston Cut Plug and Kendal Cream Flake

Status
Not open for further replies.