Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have these 3 tins in my cellar and I would like to open one to start trying out some VaPer blends. Which of the would you start with? I have limited space to store jars, that's why I'm narrowing it down to one for now.
Russ' Acadian Perique
C&D Bayou Morning
Dunhill Elizibethan
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
p_20180701_115620-600x337.jpg

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Bayou morning is amazing but not one to start with. Put it away for a while.

Elizabethan is very nice. The way the flavour develops over the course of a bowl is great. It’s not too much to handle but is a very nice introduction to vapers

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I'd Start with the Elizabethan. And if you wanted to add to the mix, Anniversary Kake, Escudo, or Haddo's Delight would be good ones.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Solani 633, or Escudo. I’d choose Lizzie’s mixture out of those. After the long weekend I can send samples of the ones I mentioned.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That Elizabethan is a classic. If you have it smoke it. Good starting point.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
I agree with the Elizabethan as the BM is probably not a beginners blend and the Acadian VaPer is something in my opinion that you will enjoy much more after you are introduced to that genre. Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OGS is tasty, but its Perique content is disputed, not very apparent. Russ O.'s Fire Storm is a start for the more daring, with dark-fired part of the blend.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Dunhill Navy Rolls.Not too much perique,just a taste.Some of these other suggestions are great mixtures,but may blow your socks off if you don’t acclimate yourself first.My first perique

Experience was Haddo’s Delight from Elliston Place Tobacco in Nashville TN.It blew my socks off.Robert McConnell does some good starter mixtures I believe,also.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Looks like Elizibethan is getting the nod. I was leaning towards that one to start with. The Bayou Morning says 'not for the faint lot heart' on the label, so I knew not to start with that one!
Thanks for all the suggestions on other VaPers, but I only have these right now.
josephcross much appreciated!
bigtex I hope so. When I was learning about different types of pipe tobacco, I watched Russ' videos on YouTube. The blending of sweet Virginia's and spicy Perique sounds very good to me, so I randomly picked a few to try. I'm only getting around to it now.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Why be mild when you can go buck wild? Hit the snooze button on Elizabethan and grab the BM.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I started out on Luxury Bullseye Flake by Peter Stokkebye. My suggestion would be that or Escudo. Escudo is the benchmark for the VaPer genre.
I've never had any of those blends you posted a picture of.
I have had Firestorm by Russ which is a VaPer with some Dark Fired in it and that was really good.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Mike, though I've never tried Bayou Morning (ribbon cut) I have tried Bayou Morning Flake. Both claim to be 25% Perique and I can confirm a pretty strong VaPer.
I experimented mixing BMF with some FVF, both rubbed out together, and that tamed the blend making it more enjoyable to me.
Regards Elizabethan Mixture, I struggled to find any Perique in it :(
Regards,
Jay.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
@mikethompson ... so how’d it go? What do you think of the Elizabethan blend?
I recommend opening a tin of Escudo and a tin of Samuel Gawith St James Flake to experience and understand the perique role personally (outside of trying straight perique of course). IMO, the perique in Escudo is a touch subtle as compared to the SJF. Both are fantastic blends, and smoking them in a 2 rotation will allow your pallete to differentiate / isolate the perique. I love em both
PS - I know you said you don!t have any jars left, but in case you happen by the store and get yourself some more ..... :wink:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Well I just jarred up the tin of Elizabethan. It smells like a very bitter dark chocolate, which I happen to like. I'm going to try some out tomorrow in a nice old 1950 K&P that another member restored for me. If it tastes as good as it smells, I'll be alright. :wink:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I agree that the Elizabethan Mix is the one to start with. There are so many great Va/Pers on the market right now. Besides well loved classics like Escudo and St James Flake I've stocked up on a number of others. If you decide to try out other Va/Pers in the future, I'd suggest RO Perique Series GP-11. It's my favorite of that series. Anniversary Kake, Haddo's (not exactly a Va/Per but just a fabulous blend), Telegraph Hill, Louisiana Red, Fillmore, Dunbar, Rimboché, PS-LBF, Dorchester, Sixpence, Viprati, Director's Cut, HH Acadian Perique, Curly Block, Marlin Flake, Doblone d'Oro, 633, and Cabbie's Mixture, are all great blends.
I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the RO Acadian VaPer. I've smoked it and I would definitely not make that my first VaPer.

Status
Not open for further replies.