PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

entz72

Lurker
May 30, 2011
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could suggest some tobacco. I been smoking pipe for about 2 years and have only had Boswell's and other local tobacco house blends. I was thinking some type of tin. Any suggestions?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Lane 1Q, W.O. larsen signature Vintage Mixture, Amphora Red (Full Aroma) and good ol' Captain Black.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
1Q and 7 Seas Royal or Gold.

Shortcut to Mushrooms is very good also.

Do a search on the website this thread as

been around many times already.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
There are so many you can try, one I just discovered myself is a 4noggins bulk blend called Double Fantasy.
I highly recommend it. :puffy:

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Cornell & Diehl Nutty Irishman - To me it tastes like smoking a Snickers Bar. You like Snickers?

Peterson Sweet Killarney

Peterson Connoisuer's Choice

Peterson Sunset Breeze

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
At the end of the pipe show, I tried the Nutty Irishman and decided to buy the tin. Rushed back to the table and it was already sold. $10 for most of the 8 oz tin. All their sampling tins are on sale at the very end. I bought two other blends instead.
Winton

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I tend to smoke both Aromatics & English...not to mention Vapers.
My hot pick for Aromatics right now is Sterling's "Country Club." It has a wonderful Baker's chocolate taste like a rich dessert - without the goop or over the top sweetness. The Aromatic taste doesn't overwhelm the Blend and so that you feel like you are really smoking "Tobacco." This one also goes great with a cup of Joe.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I would suggest 1Q and RLP-6 from Lane. They are basically Captain Black without a lot of the preservatives.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My number one far and away favorite aromatic is Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice. Great casing of tropical fruit, rum, and vanilla. It's a better dessert than any ice cream, cake, or pie. The casing flavors mesh well together along with the leaf blend of Black Cavendish, Red and Golden Virginia, and a luxury broken flake. Tastes great, no tongue bite, burns evenly and usually to the bottom of the bowl, and my fiance loves the room note and how the smell lingers in my beard. One other aromatic I have to recommend though would have to be McClelland's Premium Aromatic Best Of Show. That one has a great nougat casing with hints of caramel as well. Very tasty smoke and very pleasant room note as well.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
To throw my two cents in, I agree that Lane 1-Q, W.O Larsen Signature, Mac Baren 7 Seas blends are all excellent choices, I would also put forth the following:
Villiger 1888 Mid Day - Like smoking toasted marshmallows
Samuel Gawith Fire Dance Flake - If you can find it, it's got some wonderful berry notes and is in flake form which tends to smoke cooler
Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream - an excellent blend that tastes just like it smells with a delightful cognac flavor that hints through
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake - this crowd pleaser smokes cool due to its flake form and goes great with a cup of coffee or a grasshopper (cocktail)
G.L. Pease Barbary Coast - while this falls somewhere between an Aromatic and a VA/Per, it's nutty fruit makes it a pleasant smoke
CAO Moontrance - Another crowd pleaser that tastes as good as it smells
There are plenty more, but this list should give you something to start with.
Happy piping!
-Jason

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
For tins, I enjoy Erinmore Flake. I also am a big fan of Boswell's Berry Cobbler, taste the rainbow!

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
1-Q, BCA, PS Sweet Vanilla and Blue Note are good ones. C&D Autumn Evening and Dan's Milonga are pretty good, too.

dawk

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2010
I love the China Black from Iwananies. Lots of compliments on this one, especially from the lady folk.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm a real novice when it comes to smoking aromatic tobaccos; but one thing I have learned, from Milton M. Sherman's book,

All About Tobacco, is that flavored cavendish style tobaccos focus on delivering taste to the smoker,

whereas the cased Burley blends seek to impart a pleasant aroma in the air (not easy for the smoker himself to detect).

To the extent that I've dabbled in aromatics, I found that to be pretty much true. Hope that helps.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I enjoy 1Q and RLP-6, I've never had any aromatic tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.