PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
It's been a few months since I finished up my tub of SB, I need to order another. As far as I know SB has no Va as CH has a small amount. SB is a good smooth burly with a topping of maple flavor. The topping is not overpowering just kind of in the background of the nutty burly taste. Its slightly sweet and very cool smoking, the taste puts me in mind of hot cakes and maple syrup. It has a nice room note. IMO it's slightly fuller in burly flavor than CH but not as full as PA. I really enjoy it as I also enjoy CH.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
jwp159, do you know if it is sold in a smaller pouch or just the large tub? I am pretty sure I would enjoy it but hate to buy a full tub and find out I don't. I do smoke CH regularly. I have not been able to find SB in a smaller package anywhere myself.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
A lot of these OTC brands only come in tubs.
Rich sells Sugar Barrel and Walnut in 2 oz increments, as roth suggests, but that's the only place you are going to find them like that.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
SB is a good smooth burly with a topping of maple flavor.
It's funny how we all taste differently. I would never say maple when it comes to SB. I would say sugar cookie or oatmeal cookie. Loves the stuff by the way! CH is more nutty than SB. Both heap good medicine!
Descriptions from MILAN

Carter Hall Pipe Tobacco

Slow burning, no bite. Cross cut Burleys with a sprinkling of Virginia flake. A pleasing, sweet taste and aroma.

Sugar Barrel Pipe Tobacco

Cross cut Burleys and Virginia flake. Tart/sweet flavor.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I haven't tried CH yet so I can't really add to that, but I just wanted to note that Sugar Barrel leaves almost a brown sugar smell in my pipes afterwards. I love the stuff.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I just had my first bowl of SB. Sweet, sugar/oatmeal cookie, nice aroma, mild, no bite. The previous comments say it all. One thing I noticed though, it made me want to nap.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I like sugar barrel, but it leaves me smelling like I smoked a cigarette. That's the only thing I don't like about it. I like it in a cob best.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
I just ordered a tun of Sugar Barrel from WV Smokeshop. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.