Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I picked up an old tin of Sugar Barrel recently and am trying to figure out how old it may be. The white metal "paint can" does not have the large graphic of the barrel on the front nor does it say that it's from Middleton's. In small print it says it was manufactured by "Sugar Barrel Associates". I've struck out trying to pin down the latest possible date before the switch to the Middleton's brand.
Anybody know when Middleton's acquired Sugar Barrel?
Ren

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here is a link (Sugar Barrel) to an advertisement for this tobacco as it appeared in the July 1949 issue of "The Rotarian" magazine. Since the address listed therein is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (the original home of John Middleton, Inc.) my best guess is that it was always affiliated with them.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Thanks, I love those old ads. The graphic in the ad matches what's on the can. As near as I can tell this tin is from the 50s. Part of the tax stamp was damaged which makes getting a certain date unlikely as there are no dates on the can.
The tobacco is slightly dry but not bad at all. It smells wonderful. I haven't gotten a chance to smoke a bowl yet but will soon.
Ren

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Man, are you lucky! I love Sugar Barrel, but never had any that old. I bet it's good!

Sugar Barrel is usually on the dry side when new anyway.

Enjoy! I sure do wish they'd bring SB back!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
"Paint can" makes me think it's a lev-a-lock can. I think those are 50s.
Lev-a-lock:
$_57.JPG

Your's look like this?
th

That looks earlier than the first one. Hard to say by how much though. Same graphic as Hunter's 1949 ad.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Yep, mine looks like the second, smaller image, not the lev-a-lock can.
I was about to order some of Russ's match for Sugar Barrel when I stumbled upon the real thing. Somebody up there must like me.
If only I'd find a case of old Balkan Sobranie. . .
Ren

Status
Not open for further replies.