PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I'm pretty sure I am going to regret posting this and causing this blend to go out of stock, but here it goes :) I was traded this stuff and right out of the gate it just tastes so complex, nice robust medium flavor, very natural, not all all like an aromatic, not even a cross-over. It smells great (maple syrup), but all I perceive when smoking is great natural tobacco. Is this an old "codger" blend? It definitely seems just like what I imagined they would be like and one of the reasons I was so interested in trying them out. Anyway, this is my new go-to tobacco for a nice quick smoke due to how well it burns, the nicotine hits me a lot faster and I get zero tongue bite, just love it. I'll still stick to my VA flakes for the nice long relaxing smokes, but this stuff I'm probably dedicating my MM legend to as less than a bowl has just the right amount of nicotine content for me.
Next time I purchase tobacco, I will have to get an entire tub of it, I was traded it by a forum member for some Black House, what a good trade that was. Heavy lat blends were just not my thing :)

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I also like Sugar Barrel, ranking it with Carter Hall on the top of my OTC list. It's got that light, raw sugar flavor that's pretty distinctive. I just can't get past that slightly chemical taste that all OTCs seem to have. But CH and SB seem to have less than the others, and without the heavy toppings. Definitely a good, all-day smoke. Like you, I enjoy these blends in cobs when there isn't time for a more complex, sit-down smoke - just a quick hit of flavor and nicotine.
I would recommend trying Angler's Dream.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
My tub just arrived from 4noggins today. I find Sugar Barrel a great all day smoke with a little more complexity to it than CH. I need to get a few more blends from Pipes and Cigars and Smokingpipes.com. Then I will go through my cellar and find my goto blend and stock up. If and when the flood gates fully open on Tobacco extremism, I may purchase as much of this as I can find even if it is not my goto baccy.

calumet

Lurker
Dec 28, 2012
I've been wanting to try Sugar Barrel for some time, and finally got a tub last week. I really enjoy it. It's a nice change from my usual SWR regular. Angler's Dream is good too.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
4 bowls in two days, that's a record for me at home lol. I'm always thinking about this blend in the back of my mind...

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Eric,

Not bad right? Have you ever smoked Carter Hall? Compared to SB, CH seems to be missing something. Although, after smoking areos for a while and then lighting up CH, its great. Than when you smoke a bowl of SB, CH falls to the back of the pile.
Sometimes I think, isince these "Codger" blends have been around for a while, even in today's market, than they must be good. Than I smoke a Latakia blend. Yuk! Latakia just hasn't grown on me yet. Well see. I ordered 2oz of Walnut from 4noggins.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Never tried CH before, that and PA seem to be pretty much what everyone thinks about when "Codger" is mentioned by the look of it.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Sugar Barrel is one of the two Burleys in my current collection of samples. The other is Sir Walter Raleigh, and I gotta say that of those two, Sugar Barrel is a definite favorite. There's a little more to the flavor - SWR is better than I initially thought, but it's still pretty much one note to my palate - and it's likely to be my "go to" codger blend, once I've had a chance to sample a few more for comparison.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
My next TAD will consist of several samples of "codger" blends, sugar barrel and granger as well as Edward G Robinson blend. CH is my go to blend.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
SB in a cob while riding the mower for a couple of hours can't be beat. also, whenever I just run to town, etc I always grab the SB. I try to add a tub of SB, CH or PA to every monthly TAD order.. the CH and PA tubs seem to be growing but can't seem to grow the SB as I'm always smoking it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Well, I just got my tub of Sugar Barrel today and I must say, I'm impressed! I'm almost done with my first bowl of it right now, and it has been sweet, but not overly sweet, cool, and dry! No relights so far either! I believe I just found my new favorite OTC! I'm smoking it in a Peterson "313" System Standard by the way. I think I'm gonna order me another tub for the cellar pretty soon! Damn, I need to buy stock in Ball Mason jars, lol!

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
I purchased a tub from P&C about 4 weeks ago. Im really loving this stuff. Nothing fancy, just good basic tobacco. Im also learning I really enjoy a heavy burley blend.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Eric sent me a sample of Sugar Barrel the other day as I hadn't tried it before and I sent him some CH to try.

I like the SB better than the CH so I think I got the better half of the deal. :lol: I found it to be a very nice natural burley blend that had no bite, tastes great and burns great. I'll definitely order some on my next order.

Tim

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Sugar Barrel was the competition tobacco for the July Waco Pipe Club Slow Smoking Contest. We had a dozen competitors. Most did not like the tobacco but a few of the contestants did. It burned cool, according to most, but the flavor presentation was mild and a little sweet. The room note, with a dozen pipes going at once, was heavenly.
Best,
Pipestud

Reactions: Thepipehunter
Status
Not open for further replies.