PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newnewbie

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
Hello all!

This is my problem,im novice, but everithyng went okay like 2-3 month, tobacco tasted like tobacco(pretty much like your first cigarette, this standart "tobacco taste"), aroma is unbelivable, im smoked good tobacco, like dunhill line, capstan, fvf, presby. etc, no aros at all), but one day, exactly one month ago i smoked big bowl of nightcap, and at the end of the ball it tasded like sour burnt wood, somewhat "hot" tasting, if it makes any sense? and from that moment all tobacco tastes like that, i dont know why, tongueburn? maybe, but not for month! after that i got cold, illness vent like 2 weeks, and i thought it because alterated sence of smell, but everithyng smell and taste exactly like before, but not tobacco! what the hell, im like crying inside, because what seemed like next big lovely habit of me makes me gag now, because of foul taste, aroma of smoke is ok, roomnote is ok, but taste! Who else expirienced such thing wnd what im need to do?? Thanks!! Sorry english is not my language as you noticed, im from banana country lol

newnewbie

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
ive tried it, not the case, problem with the perception of taste. My pet bear are making fun of me already, aaarghhhh!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Have you stored your tobacco properly? Perhaps it has dried out and that has affected the taste (and the smoking characteristics).

newnewbie

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
no no guys, in not "that" tipe of nowice, im pretty much know all this stuff)) Everithing is okay exept my f$$$ng tongue! So this what amaze me, ive never seen similar problems on pipe smokers forums before!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Did you take any medication while you were ill that may have affected your system/sense of taste? :puffy:

Shifting tastes is what keeps me from smoking one blend in one type of pipe. My taste changes depending on food, drinks, smells around me, mood, music, alignment of the stars, season, and probably a whole host of other reasons. In the beginning, every blend was a gamble to whether Inwas going to enjoy the smoke. Now, I kind of know what to expect, so that I can have a more educated guess as to what I am in the mood for at that moment. But, we are all different. You just have to find your way, I guess.

+1 aldecaker, I was wondering that too. How cool to have a pet bear. I want one to follow me into town like Grizzly Adams. I bet it's cool to smoke a pipe while your bear frolics in the sunshine. Wait... We are talking about the animal kind that likes to eat pic-i-nic baskets, right? Not the kind that wears a leather mask like on Pulp Fiction.

newnewbie

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
Stroke at 24 years? lol no) And everyone in Russia have pet bear (of both kinds, yes, but secretly, its not tolerant country at all)) Its started before i taked any medication, and it was not heavy kind, just paracetamol (if it tells you something))aspirin, no antibiotics at all. What can lasted for one month, i dont know(( My pipes are treated properly, tobacco too, arrrghhh!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Assuming all you say about the condition of your pipes and your level of technique is accurate, put your pipes and tobacco away for a month. The try again. You might find that you enjoy the flavor more when you smoke infrequently. And if it all still tastes like shit, rejoice! You have been spared the weight of PAD and TAD.

Mar 1, 2014
I haven't seen anyone mention palette (taste) overload yet.

(Ok now I do since Sable posted while I was editing)
Occasionally someone will post that they were enjoying pipes a lot and suddenly everything tastes like salt, regardless of variety or blend. Normally this happens after a few weeks of smoking all day, every day.
If you smoke too many bowls per day, sometimes your tongue just gets tired, not burnt or damaged, it just needs to rest and stop tasting smoke for a week.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I agree with sablebrush, put the pipes and tobacco away for a month. I had a similar experience a while back were I couldn't taste my tobacco's either and I put my pipes down for a few weeks. When I came back to them all was good again.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I remember a time when I first started smoking, For a month or so, all of my tobaccos tasted like ammonia and it really bothered me. For what ever reason it has passed but from time to time I still get a whiff or a taste of it. I think your spell will pass, just be patient and experiment with things. That happened about 7 years ago, so obviously, I fell in love with the pipe.
Good luck

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
I also get a whiff of ammonia every now and, then. I never thought of it as a bad thing though, with cheese and other fermented foods I also taste ammonia on occasion, and I also love Swedish licorice, which has ammonia chloride in it so tastes like ammonia...One of the things I like most about pipe smoking is that even though I use the same tobacco, and the same pipe, and the same packing method I still get different flavors every time I smoke...

Status
Not open for further replies.