PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
No doubt I overpaid, but they're NOS never smoked, and 2 of my fav shapes. I've got 2 meers, one of them is probably 75 yrs old and was my dad's, the other I got around '73-'74. Good smokers but I never cared for the look of them, I don't even like light-stained briars. I really like the way these ones look like dark rusticated briar.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Very nice pipes you acquired there good Sir! I must have been contagious as I acquired 6 new pipes last week so I apologize :puffy: :mrgreen:
Cheers,

Jared

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I am just guessing, but I suspect that thos are no more meers than a cob from Missouri Meerschaum is.
Edit: I re-read the post. Those are meer? Wow.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I've never seen a meer like that. I have a couple of "meer-lined" pipes, but nothing like these beauties.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks for the positive reinforcement! I was expecting it to be pointed out that African meer is inferior to Turkish (read that in researching it) and that the point of a meer is to start with snow white and watch it color. To which I agree, but frankly my 2 meers are 40 and 75 yrs old and have been smoked thousands of times and are still barely off-white-to-light-tan and I don't have that many years left ;)
The guy has a couple NOS left, a straight apple (mistakenly listed as a billiard) and a bent billiard. Really for a C note you can't go far wrong. And there's also someone selling a prince like I got but it has been smoked lightly. Put in "Tanganyika Countryman" in the search box.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Really unusual pipes. Quite a find. Were they really crafted in Tanganyika? Utterly unique. And unsmoked. Yipes. Yes, the prince is a charmer.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I was expecting it to be pointed out that African meer is inferior to Turkish
That may well be, but the African block meer is a lot less fragile as well. I have a few Peterson African Blocks - surprisingly rugged for meer.
Beautiful pipes, by the way!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Those are nice-looking pipes. They may, though, not be meerschaum. The Tanganyika Meerschaum Corp also made briar pipes. Do the pipes have "Block Meerschaum" stamping on them?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The Tanganyika Meerschaum Corp also made briar pipes. Do the pipes have "Block Meerschaum" stamping on them?
They did make briars, plain and meerschaum-lined, but the Countryman line was block meer. And yes it is so stamped, and also printed on the box.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
They did make briars, plain and meerschaum-lined, but the Countryman line was block meer. And yes it is so stamped, and also printed on the box.
Fantastic! I have never seen Tanganyika Meers in that all-dark finish. The only specimens I have seen were whitish with fumed rims.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Shutterbugg, stunning pipes!! I think you found two supurb pipes that should smoke wonderfully! Please do provide an update on how they smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.