PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
So, I have been struggling a bit with getting a good, long, worry-free smoke from my pipes. But, FINALLY I had a wonderful smoke today. I lit up some Black House in my briar meerschaum-lined estate pipe and everything went just about perfectly. My char light was fine, I tamped it down and re-lit and the rest is history. I had a nice, even, long smoke and this was by far my best experience. Now to strive to get this success every time! Ahhh... felt good, guys.. felt real good.
BTW, I am really beginning to fall in love with Black House.. what a great blend!
Next on my list:
H&H Caramel Apple Pie

Boswell Chocolate Cream

Boswell's Best

MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake

Boswell Northwoods

Dunhill Flake

EMP

Nightcap

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
It's good to hear success stories and the pleasure that pipe smoking brings. Good luck with new blends and keep us posted!

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks mthanded! I sure will update everyone as soon as I can get some money saved up for a good order of tobacco!
I haven't been smoking pipes for long, but I am hooked. This is what I do all day now. While I'm in class, I'm on the forum searching and learning or on sites searching for pipes and tobaccos. While I'm at work, I may even take a peak. I'm digging it!

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Still haven't been able to give Black House a try but it seems like everyone on here loves it. Looks like I'll have to add it to my next order. Congrats on getting a good smoke. Seems like I have only had a few smokes that I consider "perfect."

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've had a few experiences like that, and I remember the first time I did. It was actually the second time I ever smoked a pipe. Beginners luck actually. It was really nice, but I don't worry about it anymore. I try to limit how often I have to re-light, but I'm not worried about how many times I do.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
pflan:
Welcome to the hobby -- and the forum!
I've had only a handful of truly revelatory smokes over the course of 30+ years of smoking a pipe. The first time I tried Penzance. The first time I discovered the kind of amazing creaminess that happens when the orientals and latakia come together in a truly well-made Balkan blend. And then one spring evening just a couple of years ago when I was outside on the porch swing, the weather was gorgeous, the temperature perfect, the sun was just starting to set, and I was smoking a pipeful of Dunhill's Durbar; something magical happened.
Cherish your moments like these. (And, hey, reflect on them with a pipe. . . )
Bob

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Those are the day's we all look forward to. Good job on getting it to run smooth for ya. normally when it happens I don't realize it till it's over, it's almost as if you forget that your pipe is even there and you can just enjoy it and the book or what ever else you're partaking in at the time. Like Bob said cherish those times.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks for all the congratulations, guys! I hope to continue to better my technique and really get the hang of things.
roth, I do agree with you there on the cigar comment. I used to smoke some Black & Milds, and then moved on to some nicer 7-10 dollar cigars every now and then. And I do believe that some of that experience has given me a little bit of a jump start towards a pipe smoking technique.
But yes, as soon as I get paid, I will be making up an order for some Black House (what I smoked was sent to me as a sample) and some other English blends and aros that I've heard good things about.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Caramel Apple Pie was really good and if you like that its similar to 4noggins lord methleys and killington IMO and those to are in bulk so cheaper the the tinned CAP.
Boswells Chocolate cream as soon as it will arrive at your door you will know its there my house smelt like a bakery.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congrats on your accomplishment, it is great that you are getting comfortable. I know it is difficult in the beginning and it can be frustrating, but once it clicks it is a beautiful thing.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
It is just awsome when you have that "perfect smoke". Heers to more of 'em for us all!

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Ah it's moments like these that will have you chasing the tiger's tail in this hobby forever.

Keep at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.