Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Substitute for St Bruno?

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know of a substitute for St Bruno Flake? I have done some searching and found that some have said that MacBaren Old Dark Fired is similar. I would prefer to find a bulk as opposed to a tin. I have no idea what the casing is used for St Bruno. Perhaps it is Bergamot?
    Thanks for any help.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If ODF tasted anything like St Bruno, I'd have 30 pounds of it. Unfortunately, there is no resemblance. I've tried out a few other "St Bruno" tastealikes" but have found no substitute so far.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a copy of St. Bruno, but the differences are enough that I wouldn't consider it a close copy. Also, you can't get it in the USA. It's Paul Olsen No. D2771.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9719/paul-olsen-no-d2771#review93465

Here's my review:

The dark Virginia is earthy, stewed dark fruit sweet with a hint of fermentation and sugar. There’s a lighter Virginia present as I notice light grass and citrus. Much of the burley is actually dark fired Kentucky, which is woody, earthy, spicy, smoky, and a little nutty is an important support role. The other burley is fairly drowned out by the other tobaccos and the toppings. The toppings appear to be a little rose, camphor, vinegar, and possibly an essence of tonquin (though I taste no vanilla), and they sublimate the tobaccos a bit. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. The strength and taste levels fall just short of medium, though it does get a step or stronger in the last third of the experience. No chance of bite or harshness is present. Burns cool, clean and a little slow with a fairly smooth, very consistent flavor from top to bottom. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a very pleasant after taste. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran smoker.

This is designed to be a copy of St. Bruno, and in several ways, it succeeds. Where it doesn’t is that the tobaccos and toppings have a little less strength, and have a tad less depth of flavor. As both a copy, and on its own merits, it’s a three blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've spent a good year trying to find similar blends to the likes of St. Bruno and Condor. The short of it, nothing comes even remotely close to those, especially in bulk at a cheaper price.

I thought that maybe I would find something in GH&Co's line of tobaccos and while they have a lot of good stuff, nothing comes close to the good ol' Bruno and Condor.

I have found a few blends that I highly recommend if you like blends like St. Bruno but most of them will actually cost you more to obtain (if you live in the US).

GH&Co. Dark Flake Scented (Pitchfork likened it to a cross between Condor and Revor Plug)
    GH&Co. Coniston Cut Plug (I've heard people say that it is similar to Condor but I don't think it is at all, that being said it's a fine blend and it does have a floral thing going on but I've found that the Lakeland florals are very different than other European scented tobaccos. It's very hard to explain.)

Carroll P. J. & Co. Ltd. - Maltan RR
    HU - Sissinghurst (This is the closest thing I've found to St. Bruno RR but in all honesty it's closer to Maltan RR than it is to St. Bruno. It's a damn fine tobacco!)
    HU - Daddy Gefftl (a weird Virginia-less tobacco with a hint of Latakia but I mention it because it has a nice floral topping in the same vein as Condor and St. Bruno but obviously very different.)

Smoking Pipes has a 15% off St. Bruno sale going on right now! That, my friend, would be your best bet. When Bruno is on sale, I swoop in and buy as much as I can afford. Sale ends Nov. 3rd so hurry!

I have not tried Paul Olsen's No. D2771 but I've heard from several people that I trust that it's not a good copy, plus it will cost you more to get your hands on that than it would to get the real McCoy.

Also, I don't know how people find St. Bruno and Old Dark Fired to be similar... they taste very different to me.

Edit* I reference Condor so much because I think it is very similar in style to St. Bruno. While they do tend to share a similar theme, they are both very different as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

In addition to the Paul Olsen copy, which I've smoked, there is a UK copy that is a bulk, which I've also smoked. Neither are more than remote imitations of St Bruno. They're kind of like St Bruno with half the flavors missing.

So the long and the short of it is that there is St Bruno, and nothing else close to being like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where in the US can we get the Paul Olsen No. D2771? I googled it and only came up with The Danish Pipe Shop and Le Pipe.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Where in the US can we get the Paul Olsen No. D2771? I googled it and only came up with The Danish Pipe Shop and Le Pipe.

You can't get it in the US, only through those suppliers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I read Jim's post wrong, duh.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are you talking about something different than the St. Bruno Flake that's in stock and available at smokingpipes.com? At least they say it's available

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerfer

Login to Send PM

It's available and on sale. I don't know when it would be cheaper, unless you caught a Black Friday 20% off sale.

SPC Link

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...No, I am looking for a more expensive version. I don't "do" sales. That's for poor people.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

St Bruno RR currently out of stock (they still may get restock till in coming week),perhaps flake version does as substitude or even better.
    tastewise,any similarities to be found with Rattrays Old Gowrie?

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow! That's the first time I've ever seen St. Bruno out of stock... This is good news as it means there is demand for it now that they've lowered the price. Every time I order a large supply of Bruno it all comes from the Jan 2016 batch (well ten of my pouches are from May 2016). I'm really curious how much St. Bruno is made per batch? I've been buying it in the States since it's inception and it looks as though we're still on the first batch... Does anyone have St. Bruno with a later date than May 2016 marked on their tin/pouch? Are there even many Bruno smokers in these forums?

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are there even many Bruno smokers in these forums?
    LOVE IT! Bought a tin of flake to see how it is...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, based on this thread I took advantage of the sale and ordered a tin. Hopefully I won't have to send it back due to the CBSA's shenanigans.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOVE IT! Bought a tin of flake to see how it is...

Great to hear! I tend to favor the RR based on price and I’ve really come to love their pouches! Great for on the go. The Flake and the RR taste pretty much identical and if the price for the Flake was the same as the RR I would probably stock up more on the Flake but I can tell that the RR is truly a rubbed out flake rather than a “mixture’. The pouches fair extremely well with age and I just stick them in Mylar bags and seal them with a vacuum sealer for long term storage. I’ve heard that Bruno ages extremely well too so I’m excited to experience that someday. As of now, like a said in a previous post, all of the Bruno I’ve bought thus far has almost two years of age on it! Win win!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking St Bruno for years and love it. Just finished another pouch and ordered a bunch more. I like both the ready rub and the flake. I just wish it was the same as when Ogden produced it, but it's still pretty close.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky,similar experience here,just recently got me a pouch from the same 2016 U.S batch,and now after trying it for the first time in my life I descidedly am including this into my rotation,must confess,I have a soft spot for these traditional english Otc's alongside with the similar central European ones such as Amphoras or Mc Baren basic mixtures which have been on the market almost for decades now,simple, no nonsence medium-strenght offering good stable quality baccies,what else a man can ask for?Moreover another plus is that retailing prices for the aforementioned working man' tobaccoes are some extent less in the U.S in comparision wuth the central European prices.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

I have smoked St Bruno for years. It is a rare day when I don't have a bowl of it, often the last bowl of the day. Personally I prefer the RR.

Of course, St Bruno is easy to get when you live in the UK.

Mike

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

just wish it was the same as when Ogden produced it, but it's still pretty close.

It seems that people tend to prefer the blend they were introduced to. Did you start smoking St. Bruno when Ogden’s still produced it? I’ve never had the chance to taste it, sure wish I did as I’ve heard that it’s truly phenomenal. I’m always keeping an eye out for it on Pipe Stud’s site but doubt I could afford the price it will demand. That being said, the Bruno that’s on the market currently is stellar in my opinion and swings with the best of em.

It’s good to see we got Bruno heads here! How I wish you could find it in the States over the counter right next to Capton Black and Carter Hall but hey, at least it’s available to us Yankees now!

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

I suppose I first started smoking St Bruno in the 1970s - so well in the Ogden's era. I still smoke it and to be honest I have not especially noticed any change. I think that is probably because blenders are quite good at introducing change slowly and they don't want to annoy regular smokers by changing things too much. If I smoked a 1970s bowl followed by a 2017 bowl I might spot the differences, but life's too short frankly to worry too much about it - I smoke it now because I like it now, just as I have always liked it.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

:(I tried it for the first time this week. I can see why so many like it. Sadly when succumbing to SPCs estate pipe sale yesterday I failed to add a few tins to the order.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

I've never smoked st Bruno and I've never been able to get a straight answer on what the toppings like. Only floral. does it taste like any GH blends? Is it similar to condor with that that dark kind of juicy taste? I'm not a fan of condor. I like dark flake scented but condor makes me nauseous

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suppose I first started smoking St Bruno in the 1970s - so well in the Ogden's era. I still smoke it and to be honest I have not especially noticed any change. I think that is probably because blenders are quite good at introducing change slowly and they don't want to annoy regular smokers by changing things too much.

Good point! I talked to a good friend of mine that's been smoking Bruno for 30 years or so now and he said the same exact thing. He didn't really noticed any changes and is still very much a fan of the current production. He only noticed the difference when he tried some older stock compared to new stock, but even then you have to take into account the age factor. Good to know. I absolutely adore the stuff and I'm very glad to see the prices have lowered significantly since it's inception.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

've never smoked st Bruno and I've never been able to get a straight answer on what the toppings like. Only floral. does it taste like any GH blends? Is it similar to condor with that that dark kind of juicy taste? I'm not a fan of condor. I like dark flake scented but condor makes me nauseous

It's more similar to Condor than anything from GH&Co. but I know people that love St. Bruno that hate Condor and vice versa. I love both Condor and St. Bruno but I give the nod to Condor. Both are very welcome in my rotation. The best way I can describe the flavors is, it's got a fruity/floral taste with sweet and sour notes not unlike a balsamic vinegar but the florals are not like the ones you find at GH&Co. and that part of it is very hard to explain. Just talking about it makes my mouth water.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've never smoked st Bruno and I've never been able to get a straight answer on what the toppings like.

I don't experience St Bruno as particularly floral, nor does it have the Lakeland soapiness that Condor has. Some people use the word "leathery" to describe the flavor. I would say that to me its flavors remind me of a mixture of camphor, mustard seed, cider vinegar and more. Distinctly savory in nature, but neither "floral" in the usual sense, nor soapy. You either love it or hate it.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldgeezersmoker, jfred, cossackjack, hoosierpipeguy, philobeddoe, ebnash