PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dell134

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Hello all, I'm new to the world of estate pipe restoration. I recently started restoring an old 1950s straight Briar; its bowl is half rusticated and half smooth. I'm at the stage now where I've finished cleaning the bowl and I need to polish/finish it. From my research, Halcyon wax would be best due to the rustication on the bowl. This may have been asked before but is there a substitute for Halcyon wax(for use on a rusticated bowl) as I can't find it in any BnBs where I live? Or am I just better off ordering it online and waiting?
PS. unfortunately, I don't have a buffing wheel to use polishing compound or rouge.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I saw this wax mentioned on another thread and is highly recommended. It’s available on amazon if that helps:
Renaissance Wax
I believe it’s used in museum level restorations.

dell134

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
From what I've read. Carnuba wax doesn't fair well with rusticated/sandblasted pipes. I've never tried it myself to experience it on rusticated briar, so I could be wrong to presume it does.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I apply either of these waxes, I don't use a cloth. I get much better results spreading a tiny amount on my fingertips and spreading it by hand then rubbing he pipe in the palms of my hands so that the wax polishes up against itself. It set up to a brilliant gloss. With sandblasts or rusticated pipes, I spread a tiny amount of the polish in the palms of my hand and then rub the pipe to spread the polish and continue to rub until the polish sets up. Never have a problem with polish collecting in the recesses. Never any chalking up. Looks great.

dell134

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Thank you all.
I will give that polishing method a try when the polish arrives in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.