PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
When I started pipe smoking, I began with Captain Black blends, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Carter Hall. The Captain's blends got old fast, before I'd finished them. When I tried SWR I wasn't much happier, so I mixed them all together in a jar and left them alone. Carter Hall was better but I put about half a pouch of that in with the mix but didn't smoke the concoction because I moved on to Dunhill blends. Later I got more CH, and added more to that jar, hoping to tame the Captain and his bite. Recently, I put a couple pinches of London Mixture and Nightcap in the mix. I'd gotten a tin of Royal Yacht, didn't like it, and was smoking it in a mix with CH and later with Prince Albert, trying to use it up. I also added a quarter pouch of PA to that jar. Tonight I put a few bowls worth of RY in the jar. I've just lit up a bowl of that home blend, and finally the Captain is subdued, and RY is doing me some good. That pint jar is full to the top, but now the tobacco gives a good enough smoke. I'm glad I didn't toss the tobacco I didn't like but found way to use it in this mix. As the jar allows for more tobacco, I'll put the last few bowls worth of RY in there, and stay away from that and Captain Black in their pure forms.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That is the understatement of the day.

I've always been of the opinion that the best thing to do with Captain Black is to not smoke it. :mrgreen:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That is the understatement of the day.

I've always been of the opinion that the best thing to do with Captain Black is to not smoke it. :mrgreen:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm constantly tinkering with leftover mixes or intentional ones. Stretching premium blends by adding some codger burley or maybe something more 'elaborate'...who says ya gotta be 'certified' to blend your own?

Some works better than others. You take note and learn from experience.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The dreaded Captain Monochromatic! I believe that when they opened an ancient Egyptian tomb in the Nile Valley they found a 2000 year old pouch of this stuff and it was still fresh! :rofl:

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Ha!
Your post gives me hope. I too have a jar of leftovers that I kinda liked but didn't like much, or smoked too hot or whatever. I keep dumping more in, because I'm too stingy to throw anything away, but I've kind of figured it would taste nasty, when I ever got desperate enough to try it.
Now I'm thinking it might actually be good!

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@ maxx
I also have a jar like that, your creative alchemy of taming these tobacco will inspire me on what I should do with the content.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the pouch and tub tobaccos make a nice mix for stretching more expensive blends. You have to find a proportion that tastes good for you, but some of my best smokes have been mixes. I find I get the best flavor when I do this in a calculated way and not just dumping all the leftovers in once place. The simpler the blend, the better it works, usually, such as Carter Hall or Prince Albert to stretch some tinned blends.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I believe that when they opened an ancient Egyptian tomb in the Nile Valley they found a 2000 year old pouch of this stuff and it was still fresh."
Actually that was not Captain Black, but, rather, Mixture 79.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Your all meddling with unnatural forces that are best left alone! What's being described is akin to the Frankenstein monster of pipe tobacco! I'm waiting for the villigers to come a running with the torches and pitchforks! Capt. Black and RY? Indeed!! :)

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
The Captain is so subdued in this mix that he must bound in burly chains far down in the brig of the yacht.

Status
Not open for further replies.