PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Here in Carolina we have a law that bans smoking in restaurants..Now to the story..A coffee shop has opened up in my town.A group of vetrans gathered donations to get the money to open it.It isn't only a coffee shop it's also a military museum honoring vetrans.Any profits will be used to help vetrans and their families.These heros who have risked their lives to protect the freedom of those who passed this stupid law are being told that they aren't supposed to smoke in their own coffee shop.Nor are their customers allowed to.This just really sucks.I doubt though that the local police will try to enforce it.At least I don't think they will.Most of them are vetrans as well.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Maybe the veterans need to get there guns and show the stupid sob's who really makes the rules.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Puffy. Where is this place located. It sounds like just the place I would like to spend some money.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I work a local B&M on saturdays and the owner told me smoking was not allowed in the shop due to georgia law. I will abide by this, but would like to see it written somewhere. I thought tobacco retailers were exempt..Where can anyone find current laws on this sort of thing?

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
If they make it non profit and privately owned "membership only" establishment, couldn't it bypass the law? I'm not aniline with the Carolina policy though

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
.Where can anyone find current laws on this sort of thing?
Ask the shop owner if he knows the applicable law. Then you can look it up yourself.
f they make it non profit and privately owned "membership only" establishment, couldn't it bypass the law?
Maybe - maybe not. Depends on the statute. But if they are trying to educate the public, through their museum,which is what it sounds like they are doing,they then defeat that purpose by the other.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Same sort of laws in Michigan. Really is a shame that our veterans can't even smoke in a building that they paid to have erected...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You know, I use tobacco. But my daughter is highly allergic to it. It doesn't take much exposure to tobacco smoke to make her physically ill. So are people like her supposed to avoid restaurants, so smokers can smoke in them? What about her rights?

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Well I guess I'll say it again. *sigh*. You will be the whipping boy until ypu band together. And thus I shall say untill it is done.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
The rights that should be considered for the owner of the establishment. If they get no business they change the rules. If that means your daughter can't frequent some places thats just the way it is. You can open up a place just for her and others that share the allergy and if every other establishment in town was smoking you'd probably do great. I'm not saying mandatory smoking laws I'm saying no laws on the matter. Your daughter does not have the RIGHT to visit a privately owned business.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
17825856_ancora-polemiche-fra-us-army-usaf-0.jpg

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Your daughter does not have the RIGHT to visit a privately owned business.
On the contrary, if a business is offering services to the public - like a restaurant - they do not have the right to deny service to someone for arbitrary reasons. I suggest you acquaint yourself with basic legal principles.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Why can't it be left to the owner of the establishment? If the owner wants to allow smoking in his establishment and posts that smoking is allowed then one can make their own decision whether to go in or not.
I'm sorry for you daughter's allergy, but a law that tells me I can not smoke in a B&M makes no sense to me.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Noone would be refusing service to her. She does not have the right to dictate to others what they do. She can go else where. To a place where the owner doesn't allow smoking because its his business and his choice to allow or disallow certain behavior. Should I be able to got to a suit and tie restaurant dressed as I please? Because I am not comfortable in a suit? They will deny me service arbitrarily based on my attire. I'm sorry your daughter has this problem, but private businesses are not like public buildings were we all must do business. There I can see no smoking because they have to serve everyone. I on the other hand do not. However I do not have a choice because the law says I cant allow smoking in my building, and that is fascism. I am the one who is heavily invested in my business noone else. So it should be my choice not yours. You have nothing at stake in the matter.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I work a local B&M on saturdays and the owner told me smoking was not allowed in the shop due to georgia law.
That's kinda like not being allowed to read at the library.

Status
Not open for further replies.