• Started 3 years ago by deathmetal
  • Latest reply from Kevin Godbee
  1. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If admins were not hostile to it,

AND enough users threw in money,

Xenforo -- pretty much the premiere forum on the net -- costs $40 a year for the software

It might be a nice upgrade after years of faithful service by this old forum on PipesMagazine!

Does that qualify as a "club"?

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great... now I'm going to lose another comment to a deleted thread

I kid I kid, or am I?... in all seriousness an upgrade would be nice, but at the same time.. if it "aint broke" I know that this topic has come up a few times over the years and is always shot down, but can't remember the reasons behind it.

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm always ready to chip in two cents.

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I reject the idea outright.

One thing I love about this forum is the "old school" feel,
    the minimalism.

Most hypermodern forums suck.

Pipesmagazine.com forums as they exist are the perfect vehicle for what I like to do,
    it is a simple process for me to dump massive image hordes with no problem,
    unlike other hypermodern forums where such things become a task and a headache,
    I've just about pulled my hair out by trying to post big image-filled threads on other forums,
    it ain't no fun.

This place is perfect as it is,
    a unique reservoir which is easy to use.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. rblood

rblood

Login to Send PM

At the risk of revealing myself as the old fart who knows little about these fancy internet things (which I am), what exactly is wrong or missing from the current PM forum? What benefits are we missing out on?

Frankly, of the few forum sites I do frequent, this one is about the easiest for me to deal with.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You don't need to exactly crowdfund, alot of forums simply have contributing members that donate monthly to keep the forum going, but this forum has companies that pay for advertising space, which probably more than covers the cost of renting a server. So then you have to draw a line between pleasing members and pleasing advertisers, and in the end the advertisers will be the ones most likely chosen. Personally I'd love to see this become pipes and cigars magazine as the forum owner used to run a cigar website.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a younger fart, but really frequent no other forums. So I, too, don't understand what is missing. Can combine fill me in on what they feel is to be gained with an upgrade?

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last thing on God's Green Earth that I need is some new-fangled "mobile" version of the site to "solve" the "problems" that I must be having by using my smartphone. I also don't want to be prompted to download Tapatalk every time I browse the site.

But if you can avoid all that nonsense, have at it! From another "young fart".

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fairly large feature set of newer forums is missing. I think many here would enjoy those features, but its not like saying "here is 40 dollars give us a new forum", its more like hire a developer, retrofit this website - its no small undertaking because there is a ton of custom code; so I totally get why Kevin hasn't been able to get to it, its not broke (for the most part), many people like the older look that this forum offers, and people fear change. Oh.. and there is the whole, if you change the fourm system and the URLs change the SEO is all screwed up and we wouldn't want to not find stuff when searching google now would we?

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About the only real things it's missing which is standard on v-bulletin and most server's of forums I've seen for as long as I can remember is a quote, multi-quote, where you just hit a quote button and it will automatically quote the member who's post you're quoting rather than having to copy/paste it, plus the ability to look up every single post a member has made.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. xrundog

xrundog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Upgrade? Meh.

But I don't have a Smart Phone either.

Life is good. But it's better with a pipe.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Feature Sets:
    Like Andy Said, the Quote/Multiquote
    Better Member Profile Management and Message system
    Calendar
    Flat vs Threaded option (personally I tend to enjoy the flat type as I normally just check out the what's new section)
    Drag and Drop attachments/images (this piece of usability would be awesome, but then storage space on the hosting size would have to increase)
    Better polling
    Social Media integration/shareing (facebook, twitter, google plus)
    Security: 2-step verification

While Xenforo is ok, I like newer tech of Discourse.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^This represents the sort of thing I'd like to avoid.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. rblood

rblood

Login to Send PM

pylorns thanks for the "features" list, but I personally I think these things are rather a solution in search of a problem.

I don't consider myself resistant to change, but rather resistant to change for change sake. Simple is often better.

And +1 on the no Tapatalk nonsense.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipesmagazine.com forums as they exist are the perfect vehicle for what I like to do,
    it is a simple process for me to dump massive image hordes with no problem,
    unlike other hypermodern forums where such things become a task and a headache,
    I've just about pulled my hair out by trying to post big image-filled threads on other forums,
    it ain't no fun.

This alone would make me say leave things as they are! Having to copy and paste quotes, a little "old school" but not that hard really...

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm of the if it isn't broke don't fix it school.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would like to start a crowdfund to raise money for the abduction, tarring, and feathering of those who want to "upgrade" (a.k.a. screw up) this forum by pretty much any means at all.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would like to start a crowdfund to raise money for the abduction, tarring, and feathering of those who want to "upgrade" (a.k.a. screw up) this forum by pretty much any means at all.

Where do I donate my funds?

Rebels been rebels since I don't know when
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll throw in $5 immediately to keep it just as it stands. I like the place just the way it is and I certainly don't need any new fangled App things!

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I appreciate the current format just fine, but I would LOVE an App. I pretty much live off apps now- this might be the only place I'm still using a website it and it is cumbersome.

Chris

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where do I donate my funds?

This made my day.

"Keep it Classy"
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Changing over to something like vBulletin is a big undertaking, and I do mean BIG! Transferring all the data can be a real PITA with no guarantee that a lot of data will not be lost. But, I gotta admit that I’d really like to see WYSIWYG posting and PREVIEW before hitting SUBMIT. Yeah, the programming here is a tad antiquated but I can live with it.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the format of this forum. The search function on the other hand.......

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is with a doubt the dumbest, stupidest, most retarded idea I've heard in the last couple minutes!! The fact that you wasted your time typing it can only be matched by the stupidity that I took the time to read it.

Seriously though, sign me up! LOVE this forum, but it would be amazing if it was modernized.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please leave the forum alone.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I like the format of this forum. The search function on the other hand.......

Ghost set up a wicked killer custom search engine,
    bookmark it!

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=015928064115512826419:w6p75_tdjd0

Very easy to use!

Helped me find this 2 year old modly oldie:
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/we-can-has-funny-pipe-picture-thread

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just want something compatible with tapatalk so I can get alerts on updated threads and easily use my iPhone.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. rcstan

rcstan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You guys have no idea what kind of shit I deal with, whilst trying to post comments from my iPhone. A little grey box from the home screen frequently hovers over what I'm typing, as well as the occasional jump of my cursor, from the end of the sentence I'm currently typing, to the forums search bar- which means I have to scroll back to the comment box, and replace my cursor in the proper spot. Having this happen three or four times in one comment is excruciating.

Jerod
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. rcstan

rcstan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ummm.....seems to work for my ancient iPhone 4 IF I hold it sideways ( landscape ) and stretch out the screen/font a bit. Image links are a PITA but I usually reserve such posts for the Android tablet at home or the proper PC at work.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't need to change anything.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  32. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's a few things that drive me crazy, like if you're searching for a forum member which I'll do to let them know a tobacco they want is in stock somewhere, you go to members, go to the letter their name starts with, and you get peoples names from all over the map, so if the actual forums functions worked properly it would be nice, I can do everything else ok. But being able to go to GL Pease and read every post he made would be cool. I have no idea how old this software is as this forum is the only place I've seen it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PipesMag is the Drudge Report of the forums, old school and easy to use. I like it that way.

What exactly would be gained from the upgrades?

It works just fine on my phone as is. I can't post pics from my phone but that's probably a good thing.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  34. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, I thought Safari was the app for this place. #amIwrong?

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  35. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There seems to be something overlooked, here.
    This is not a stand-alone forum, which would make it more like a club. It is part of PipesMagazine.Com - which is a business. For Kevin, the magazine features are the most important part of the software, I would think.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  36. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only thing that lacking here is a way to preview before posting. If something goes haywire with an image or a link or text formatting it's like race to get it fixed before the the ten minute time limit. I've missed that limit several times as others have....apparently.

Wouldn't it be great to be able resize images in the edit window? Having a mobile version of the site would be a definite plus. Even the site sponsors should be able to get behind that.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you guys think everything is fine as is, that's only because you've never used Tapatalk. The site would still function as is for those who prefer the old ways, but would work in an app form for those who like modern tech.

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jud, it's not overlooked, but there would be more traffic which means more ad dollars. The growth rate could be exponential if modernized.

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. sjfine

sjfine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not that the matter is likely going to be put to a vote, but I vote no anyway. Keep it just the way it is.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipesmagazine.com is the JF Germain's of the web forum world.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. klf007

klf007

Login to Send PM

I'm very new here, that's true, so I'm not sure if my opinions ever counts.
    But I think that you should upgrade this forum. Why ?
    Somewhere along the way, this version of the software will reach EOL and will not get any support anymore. It will be harder to find people who know it enough to help migrating the DB to another system in order to save all the messages that represent the soul of this community. You can't run a software forever and forget that in X years there will be nobody around who knows how to help/repair things when they start going down. Think about it...

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The problem with Tapatalk, Nate, is that they're not content to let you have your app, and me have my app (my 'app' is called a Web browser...)

No, no, no...they have to try and push their damnedable app on me whenever I visit the site, Every. Damned. Time.

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fair enough. Luckily there are other pipe forums utilizing modern tech. Those of us primarily utilizing iOS and other smartphones which make using this forum difficult and tedious have other options.

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Luckily there are other pipe forums utilizing modern tech. Those of us primarily utilizing iOS and other smartphones which make using this forum difficult and tedious have other options.

True that the other pipe forums can be fun,
    but this place is inimitable and has no peer concerning the level of discussion,
    not to mention the lush jungle of quality content provided by the online magazine itself.

Christianpipesmokers.net is the only one I know of where there is any real gravity of depth and it's a great forum.

Most of the others are "what are you smoking?" and "wow I love your new pipe" circle jerks of utter boorishness.

SF used to be quite good, but their mods are too heavy handed and that forum believes in the "fenced garden" model, similar to a gated community, where all the good stuff is membership only, therefore exuding an elite and snobbish air, but they have very many great people there posting relevant and interesting stuff.

I'm a hermit curmudgeon caveman for the most part,
    and I'm thankful I don't have to deal with the stresses involved with owning a smartphone.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of the others are "what are you smoking?" and "wow I love your new pipe" circle jerks of utter boorishness.

I'm a hermit curmudgeon caveman for the most part,

LMAO! Check!

Some of us have more in common than I realized!

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Some of us have more in common than I realized!

Yup!

One of the major complaints about this forum I've read, besides the "old school" format, is that it is primarily for newbies, and it's true that there are numerous noob postings going over the same rote thousand-times-before topic, but what's so beautiful is that this forum has so many eyeballs and so much traffic, that even the most mundane of threads has a potential to explode into a mind-provoking or controversial discussion, I've seen it happen suchwise quite a many times and it's an aspect that I really love about this place.

I was once a noob myself, asking questions that some may think are stupid or clueless, but enough knowledgeable, gracious, and caring folks responded and answered my inane questions that I actually stuck with pipe smoking, I was about to give it up, totally frustrated and having an overall tongue-bitish nightmare of the whole thing, but I was groomed into a proper pipeman by the good folk here and was encouraged to keep at it...

...I am forever indebted to this forum because without it I would probably still be smoking roll-ups with a general misinterpretation of pipesmoking being just some silly old archaic pasttime for people who didn't really like smoking but only puffing for flavor, like connoisseurs judging wine, tasting samples only to spit it out, or some such similar analogous thang ifya know where I'm comin' from.

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. thebadkitty

Steve

Login to Send PM

Voting is a good thing.
    This ain't a democracy though, it's an owned forum.
    If you really want this, Kevin would be the person to talk to. E-mail him, make a proposal, and he accepts it, or not. Easy peasy whichever way he decides.
    What's a tapatalk? Will it cause tongue bite or make my pipe gurgle?

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

This will eventually make it to the top of the "To Do" list one day.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 3 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   charf, sparrowhawk, mityahicks