PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Okay I got the Aristocob that I won on ebay. Seller did say that they could not unscrew the top to remove to insert so I knew that before the purchase. It is made out of aluminum so I have immediately put it in the freezer and am going to see if it willl shrink it a bit then plan to attempt to warm just the cover to see if it will free up.

Just wondering if anyone else out there with an Aristocob may have had this happen and may have any ideas if this does not work?

ANY ideas would be helpful. :lol:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
O5 if that doesn"t work, if you have a Palm sander, vibration sometimes will break things loose, take sandpaper out of it and use the pad to vibrate it. The old cajun

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Find some worn out real rubber hose, the thicker the better, then cut a 3/4" section out of it and put a slice in it to allow it to open around the cap. Using channel locks with only enough pressure to get a grip with the rubber it should come off. Have used this method on many valuable items w/o damage but it takes a steady pressure without going crazy, best of luck.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
56_1.jpg

56_2.jpg

Penetrating oil might free it up -- assuming the cob insert is useless anyway.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Your idea of warming just the cap might work (I hope so). It might work just to warm the whole metal section up. That should loosen whatever is gluing the cap on as well. Spraying it down with 91% rubbing alcohol or everclear and letting it soak might help as well. Good luck.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Still no luck freeing the cap, I did take a dremel tool and was able to get the cob insert cut and out of the pipe and now am going to soak in WD-40 overnight.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming. :worship:

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
You could have a combination of oxidation and old tar build up if so your oil soak should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.