PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
I have an unfinished Savinelli Punto Oro Corallo unfinished full bent pipe that I am using in a comparison with a Bones billiard pipe to see which one colors best over time.
After their first smoke the other day, they were both cleaned with a shank brush and pipe cleaners and put away to rest for a couple days.
Today the Punto Oro will not come apart. It feels like the tenon has been welded in there. I did not notice until after I had already started smoking it today. As it warmed up I kept trying, but the heat did not loosen it at all. I now have it in the freezer to cool the shank down as much as I can to see if that will help loosen it up.
Any suggestions.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Better to just leave it in the fridge for at least overnight (or longer), and DON'T FORCE IT. Be patient. :wink:
As it warmed up I kept trying, but the heat did not loosen it at all.
NB: Heat expands the briar, cold contracts it. Don't try to remove a tight stem from a hot/warm pipe...unless you want a broken off tenon in your future.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
Ok, it was in the freezer for 15 minutes with no results. I have moved it over to the refrigerator and will try it again tomorrow.
I have never had a pipe do this before. I just completed the second smoke on the Bones pipe with no issues of stem/shank tightness.
Will see what tomorrow brings.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Freezer overnight, twist very gently as you try to remove the stem, don't force it or pay the price. 15 minutes is too short a time.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I rub wax - (candle, beeswax, Carnauba, or whatever you have on hand) - onto the tenon section on all my pipes.....before re-inserting the stem into the shank. I've never had a stuck tenon. Do this to a pipe when pipe is at room temperature/"cold".
Good luck with your pipes.
Frank

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
You could try using a soft pencil to lubricate the tenon. The 'lead' in a pencil is not lead at all it is graphite and graphite is a brilliant dry lubricant.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto on the pencil trick. I also use graphite powder, which is sold as a dry lubricant for door locks. I load-up a Q-tip cotton swab to apply it to the mortise.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
The thing I can't figure out is why that particular pipe swelled so much that it froze the stem in place after its first smoke and dry cleaning it. The mortise was not tighter than any of my other pipes before I smoked it and the pipe did not get over heated during the break-in smoke. It got warm, which is normal, but not hot.
I tried white bees wax but it didn't seem to have any effect, white bees wax is a little harder than normal yellow bees wax so that may be the problem. I have white bees wax stocked because I make my own white beard balm (those of us with white beards can not use a yellow beard balm or it discolors our beards).
I will try to pick up some graphite today and see if that fixes it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The thing I can't figure out is why that particular pipe swelled so much that it froze the stem in place after its first smoke and dry cleaning it. The mortise was not tighter than any of my other pipes before I smoked it and the pipe did not get over heated during the break-in smoke. It got warm, which is normal, but not hot.
Had you removed the stem prior to its first smoke?
In any event, even when smoking as you did, hot air with moisture from the tobacco being drawn through the mortise might have been just enough to shrink the mortise hole a fraction of a mm and caused it to bind.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
Yes, I didn't have any trouble at all with removing and replacing the stem before its first smoke, that was what surprised me so much. It did not appear to be overly tight at all before.
None of my finished pipes have done this, but I noticed today that the unfinished Bones pipe is slightly tighter today after its smoke yesterday.
Is this something that is more common with unfinished bare pipes?

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I have a white beard, but don't know what beard balm is. :D
I did the freezer trick on an estate pipe that I got with a stuck stem. It worked. Now to try refitting the tenon and then use some graphite I think.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
I have a white beard, but don't know what beard balm is. :D
LOL.
It is now fitting tighter than before its first smoke. Not so tight that it won't come out, but it is definitely snug. I'm afraid to give it the next bowl. Thinking it may jam again.
This tenon may have to be trimmed a small amount to fit correctly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have three unfinished Savenelli pipes, or at least they started out unfinished. They get a golden walnut glow after a few years. No problem with these so far, and one is nearly 40 years old. If you can avoid cracking the tenon or stem, and do minor modifications you describe, I think this pipe will give good service.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
Ok, I threw it in a lathe and trimmed just a hair off of the diameter of the tenon, it now fits perfectly. I knew ordering those tenon turning tools was a good idea and would come in handy one day, lol.
It didn't seize up again after the next two bowls were run through it so it looks like it is finally fixed.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Yikes, I have a splendid Benni Jorgensen-made W.O. Larsen that I've smoked maybe twice before. After smoking it today, it's stuck. 30 minutes in the freezer hasn't helped. What's strange is that I've admired how beautifully this stem seemed to fit. It was firm, yet glassy smooth putting it in or taking it out. Weird. Here's hoping overnight in the fridge works. If not, all day in the freezer. If not, I'll let 'er rest until springtime and hope that something in the winter atmosphere of my home is at fault.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I received a great Al Pascia Curvy for Christmas. It’s the reverse calabash design. However the stem is very tight after I smoke it. I usually just use a hairdryer to warm the junction where the stem meets the chamber. Comes apart easily.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I have a unfinished Savenelli 622 Pot. Great smoker, but it took a hell of a long time to break it in. Turned a beautiful walnut color........

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
None of the usual tricks has made a dent in this puppy. Dang! One of my very finest pipes, too. I guess I'll just have to wait for spring or summer and see if things change somehow. If not, it's a good thing this pipe passes a pipe cleaner because I'm not going to risk cranking on this stem.
_DSC0861-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.